Chapter 63

Sometimes it's a form of love just to talk to somebody that you have nothing in common with and still be fascinated by their presence…   - David Byrne -

Crissy choked spilling her drinks all over her shirt some coming out of her nose as she coughed…  She was having a hard time breathing so Val gave her light pat on her back and a handkerchief to clean herself up…  It took sometime before Crissy calmed down embarrassed at her appearance…  Val was laughing at both of them, as he too was surprised that he was able to say that to her face…  But it was time to tell her of his intentions… 

Crissy :  What are you saying?  Cough…  Cough…  Cough…  Don’t joke around like that especially when I’m drinking!!!  See what you’ve done?  Cough… Cough…

Seeing her blouse all wet in front, he tried to pat it dry but…

Crissy :  STOP IT RIGHT…  THERE!!!!  (Crissy crossed her arms on her chest…)   DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH IT…

Val :  Ooops… sorry… I just want to help…  Hrmmm…  Sweetheart, don’t you think it’s a bit late to stop me?  I have already touched………  (Crissy covered her ears so she won’t hear the rest of what Val was about to say…)

Crissy :  I know but that’s not the kind of help I want… (She did not want Val to sense her awkwardness at what she thought she just heard him say so she suddenly stood up and started to walk back…)  Let’s go…  It’s late and I still have work to do tomorrow…

Val :  (Val ran after her and held her by the wrist to stop her…)  Did I scare you?

Crissy :  No!!!  Why would you scare me?

Val :  Crissy, I’m serious…  I really love you and if you will allow me I would like to continue loving you, for the rest of my life…

Crissy :  Diyos ko anong isasagot ko?…………  [Oh God…  Tell me what to say…]

Val :  What did you just say?

Crissy :  Nothing…  Will… will you at least let me think about it?

Val :  Sure!!!  You’ve got five minutes…

Crissy :  Okay ka rin ha!!!  Pinag-isip mo pa ako…  Mas madali pa kung sinabi mong “NO”…  (She stepped back away from him…) [Yeah right!!!  Why did you still give me time to think?  It would have been easier if you said “NO”…]

Val :  What’s that again…  Did you say no?  (He started walking towards her…)

Crissy :  No…  That’s not what I mean…  (She turned her back and continued walking…)

Val :  Then…  Are you saying yes?  (He shouted as Crissy added some more distance between them…)

Crissy :  ANG KULIT MO HA…  [You are persistent…]  Will you stop pressuring me for an answer?  I still have three minutes to think about it!!!  (She threw the can she was holding in his direction, shouting at the top of her voice…)

At that remark, Val held his hand up high in surrender happy at the hope that she had given him…   He just stood there but did not take his eyes off her waiting for her answer in the next three minutes…  Crissy looked up to avoid his eyes thinking of how to say what she truly felt without sounding too eager…

Val :  (But he was…)  Time’s up…

When she looked at him his eyes were still fixed on her as he slowly walked towards her failing to remember about the can of drink that she threw at him…  As he stepped on it, the can slightly rolled sending him to the ground…  Crissy saw this and could only shout to warn him but it was too late…  A policeman who was patrolling the area heard what seemed to be an altercation and walked towards their direction to check what was happening and when he heard a loud scream he ran to find Crissy running towards Val…