Chapter 70

There is one moment in your life when you are with someone and you feel like the world has stopped and your life seems so perfect, make sure you never lose that person…

There were only a few passengers on the mabuhay class and soon after the dishes have been cleared, most of them were already resting…  David looked at the seat behind him and found Crissy and Val still awake…  He asked Val to move the direction of the airconditioning on Alexa’s side and Crissy move closer to him…

Crissy :  You can wake her after 30 minutes to have her meal…  Are you hungry?

David :  I am okay, Crissy, thank you…

Alexa made a sudden movement and both David and Crissy kept quiet…

David :  Did I wake you, sweetie?  (Alexa did not answer but snuggled closer to him her arms crossed in front of her…  He thought she was feeling cold and held her tighter…  He covered her with the blanket that was on her lap…)  Do you feel cold?  (Alexa shook her head lightly…  For a while he kept still and allowed her to sleep…  His hand gently rubbed her arm as a thought came to him…)  Marry me, Ally…  (Alexa did not move and she did not answer either…  David assumed she was surprised and could not say anything and he continued…)  I’d be willing to compromise my schedules just to be with you when you need me…  You can still fulfill your commitments…  I won’t interfere with them…  Just say yes…  (Alexa still did not answer…)  Hon…  Please say something…  Honey?  Alexa…

Alexa’s head fell from his shoulder when he moved to face her…  He realized Alexa had fallen asleep again…  He lifted her head carefully back to his shoulder and cleared the tresses that covered her face…  Alexa snuggled closer to David as he tightened his hold on her and gently kissed her forehead…  With her lips so close to his, he could not resist tracing it lightly with his finger parting it and feeling its softness, he did not hesitate to plant it soft kisses until she puckered her lips tightly…   He heard her say his name and looked at her to check but there was no movement…  He smiled at her reaction and thought of how much he really loved the woman he now held in his arms…

As Alexa slept, he lovingly caressed her face feeling its softness with every touch…  Her brow knitted and her nose twitched as he traced it with his finger and he unconsciously aped what she just did…  His gaze left her to look out into the dark skies and became pensive…  Just like it, his world seemed like the color of the night as he thought of losing the only person he ever wanted… Then he thought of what he just told her…  Did he really ask her to marry him?  Was it really the only way to bring her back?  Was he really ready for a commitment?  He was suddenly afraid…  David, you are afraid of losing me because you think you own me…  You think you can possess me…  I am not like a gem that can be owned…  I am my own person…  ‘I don’t want to lose your love…’  ‘Don’t let go of my love…’  If you can understand the essence of these words then maybe we wouldn’t have this problem right now…  Love is the gem, David…  Not me…  And it is the love that I gave to you…  David, you can’t lose someone you cannot own or possess…  Instead of telling me not to let go of you, why don’t you do something that would make me stay forever…  He gazed back at the face resting peacefully on his shoulder…  He could not imagine a future without her…  He could not lose her love…  Not when he was sure nothing else mattered except her…

David :  How could you sleep at a time like this?

__________________________

But David had assumed wrong…  Alexa was not asleep…  She was about to succumbed to oblivion when he spoke to her and she heard him and felt him…  She froze at the thought of marriage with the only man she had ever loved but also the man who left her scarred and hurting…  She feared his world but her future, she knew, was bleak without him…  During those times when she was avoiding his calls and was trying to forget everything about him, they were also the times she felt she could no longer go on…  Everything she had done and all that she had accomplished lost their meaning and nothing seemed to matter anymore…  She was suddenly wary of the future with him but her life would be empty without him…  She did not know what to do…  She panicked at her frustration and without even thinking, she thought aloud…