Chapter 67

Everything in life is temporary, because everything changes…  That's why it takes great courage to love, knowing it might end anytime but having the faith it will last forever…

David took her to the famous , one of the most architecturally significant buildings in the Union Square area to have their lunch…  Both of them were silent as they sat in a quiet corner of the dining room…  They were both awed at what just happened between them at the parking basement and neither of them dared escape from the memory for the time being…  Even after David took her to the Palace of Fine Arts, about 20 minutes away from the restaurant, they were still not talking…  Hand in hand they walked through the park and when they reached the clearing facing the famous landmark, the Rotunda, with its majestic colonnades, they sat on the grass, David behind her while she leaned her back resting her head on his shoulder…  He cleared the locks of her silky hair exposing the white smooth skin of her shoulder…  He could not resist brushing his lips against its softness and to feel her…  His warm breath seemed to penetrate her defenses and she could only close her eyes and surrender herself to his flamboyant display of passion…  Her outright submission to his advances and pliant response took every ounce of strength left in him to still be in control…  Whence before this kind of submission ended up in bed, with her he was a saint…  He contented himself just being with her like this for the rest of the afternoon never wanting to let go of the love they still feel for one another…

Alexa :  David…

David :  Hmm?

Alexa :  Why didn’t you tell me about Jason being your stepbrother?  I mean, we would see him at the lobby of the hotel but I learned about your relationship only at the airport… If we did not happen to meet him there probably I would not have known at all…

David :  I don’t want to talk about him now…  Not now…

Realizing it was a sensitive issue for him, she did not delve on it, instead, she asked about his mom…

Alexa :  Is your mom still alive?

David :  You mean my real mom?  (Alexa nodded…)  No…  She died when I was about two years old…  Why do you ask?

Alexa :  I’m sorry…

David :  Don’t be…  My stepmother was more than I could ask for…

Alexa :  (She seemed lost in thought as she gazed at the distance…)  Just like when my mom left us…  My aunt said my mom abandoned us when I was about that age and I never heard from her since…  When you said your mom wanted to meet me, you referring to your stepmother?

David :  My father’s second wife who became who she is to me since I was four when my father brought her to our house and introduce her as his new wife…  I was too young to understand yet but my grandparents didn’t seem to like her so I resented her at first…  But she is really kind and very patient with me…

Alexa :  Is she… (She hesitated if she should mention as she already knew the answer but went on anyway…  She wanted to hear from David…) Jason’s mom?

Alexa felt his jaw twitched and his hold tightened displeased at the mention of his name again…

David :  Yes…

Alexa :  She seemed to be a very nice lady and beautiful too…  I couldn’t help hugging her when Jason introduced her…  She must have treated you well enough to be called “mom” by you…  Fairytales usually describe them as “wicked”…  (She turned to look at him and chuckled as she puckered up her lips…  She wanted to lighten David’s mood and she knew he always loved it when she turned playful this way but she found him staring at her…)  You are staring again…  What’s the matter?  Did I say something wrong?