Chapter 107

When you love, you should not say, "God is in my heart..." but rather, "I am in the heart of God..."  And think not you can direct the course of love...  For love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course...

Jason waited for his mother inside the car with Cecilia...  Before they came, he wondered how his mother would confront the painful memories of her past...  He had never seen her this weak and helpless...  Being able to hold the reins of someone as willful as his brother who is not even her flesh and blood, he had seen how David would fold up once she puts her foot down...  She commanded respect and never, while they were growing up, did they dream of defying her...  He never imagined the time would come when he would need to be strong for her but this was how he felt after that confrontation with Sarah's mother...  He did not take his eyes off his mom and Cecilia, who had been observing him since they left her alone, saw how concerned he was for his mother...

Jason saw his mother cleaned the place...  He wanted to help but Cecilia was quick to stop him...

Cecilia :  She'll be alright...  Don't be too concerned...  She had to do it alone...

Jason :  Huh?  Oh...  I know...  It's just that I've never seen her so powerless...  She had always been strong...  But I also know how Ally hates her mother...  Seeing her like this, how would she be able to handle Ally's wrath?

Cecilia :  How did you meet your sister?

Jason :  She had a project with my brother and they stayed in the hotel...  (He smiled as he recalled how he almost fell in love with her...)  She was nice...  She did not strike me as someone popular the first time I saw her...

It was almost dark when Jason saw his mother finish her task...  He excused himself to leave the car...  He walked over to the opposite side of the street and paced back and forth looking at the mausoleum each turn...  He stopped pacing when he saw the place grew dim leaving only the images on the wall illuminated...  It was eerie, he thought...  He could still see his mother's silhouette walking towards the image of the younger man...  When he saw her leaned towards the grave, he started to shake as tears fell from his eyes...  "Please forgive my mom...  And forgive my dad...  I know he wronged you terribly but please forgive them..."  Just then, the mausoleum turned misty until he could no longer see anything inside except the reflection of the lights...  It must have been due to the airconditioner, he thought...  He could hear his mother talking but they were muffled, he could barely understand...  He wasn't sure how long he had waited and as the mist cleared he saw his mom kissed his grave...  She then offered a prayer to the older man...  

When Marianne came out of the mausoleum, she felt peace...  She promised to come back...  She lingered before it looking in from the outside until Jason came for her...

Jason :  Are you alright, Mom?  I thought you might be cold in there...

Marianne :  Cold?  I reduced the airconditioning to the minimum after I finished cleaning...

Jason :  Really?  But the glass was covered with mist that I could hardly see you inside...

Marianne :  ("Was I really dreaming, Darling?"  she asked again...  And then smiled...)  It must have been because it's too hot out here...

Marianne took him in her arms and Jason somehow felt the serenity that seemed to enfold her...  He didn't know what transpired inside but he knew his mother would be alright...  He hoped it would remain that way when she meets Ally...  They walked leisurely towards the car...  Cecilia had parked it under a tree to shield it from the afternoon sun...

Marianne :  Thank you, Son...  For being here for me...

Jason :  I will always be by your side...  You know that, don't you?