Chapter 44

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain…  - Mark Twain -

Alexa went inside the living room and lay on the sofa…  She’s already asleep for quite awhile when the doorbell rang…  It was David who seemed not to have slept at all…

David :  Good morning, Jackie…  Are you all packed?

Jackie :  (Speaking almost in a whisper…)  Hi!  Good morning…  You are early…  Yes and we still have plenty of time…  Alexa is sleeping on the sofa…  Come on in…  She didn’t get much sleep last night so I told her to try to get some…  You seemed like you hardly ever slept at all too…  As soon as we arrive, she will have a press conference to attend to, then a television appearance, it’s a talk show then, she will be the guest of Ogie Alcasid in his concert…  He composed most of her songs…

David :  Is she always this busy?

Jackie :  Yes…  Do you want some coffee?

David :  Okay…

He walked across the living room to where Alexa was and as all other seats were occupied with bags, he sat on the sofa where she laid…  He took her feet and replaced it on his lap…  Jackie was embarrassed and was about to clear the bags off the seat when David stopped her…

David :  It’s alright, Jackie…  I’m fine where I am, really…  (Taking the cup of coffee from her…)

Jackie gave him the newspaper to read while he waited…  She observed that David was more patient now…  The first time they met him, he walked out of the room when he learned that he would have to wait due to technical problems, now, here he was waiting for Alexa to wake up…  She smiled secretly wondering if her hunch was true…  She left him alone to his reading and went to Crissy’s room…

As soon as Jackie left, David looked at the lain form of the sleeping Alexa…  He stroke the feet that’s resting on his lap and he took notice at the tattoo on her ankle…  He imagined her as she was having it done…  “Did you feel pain?  You must have…  You cry at the slightest pain…”  He looked at her face, her eyes closed her lips slightly open and thought of how he had possessed it the night before…  Then back to her tattoo…  “What were you thinking when you decided to have this?  Who are you?  Why do you bother me so much?  Why do I love you so much?  I have so many questions that need to be answered…  I wish you can still love me the way you did last night and accept me and know that what you’ve read of me is only temporary and not a lasting part of me…  Yesterday, that is me…  I know you are scared…  I’m scared, too…”  There was contentment within himself as he trace the pattern so gently with a finger…  It’s as if he was there with her easing the pain by rubbing it…  “When can we be this close again?  After today, I know everything would be different… I’m scared of what I feel for you but I am more scared knowing that I am losing you by the minute we will be apart if I let go of you like this…  The greatest pain for me is the fact that you might forget… Your fear of making a promise attests to this…”  The pain he felt in his heart awakened Alexa as she felt a hard squeeze on her leg…  Fear reflected on her face, big eyes stared at David as she abruptly got up…  Half-awake, she tried to delineate if what she was seeing was part of a dream or reality…  It scared David…

David :  Hon, I…  I’m sorry…  (He got up to get a glass of water)

Alexa, now fully awake, balled her hand into a fist and tried to strike her chest as if egging her heart to start beating again trying at the same time to catch her breath…  He helped her drink the water to calm her…