Chapter 46

In love as in sport, the amateur status must be strictly maintained…   - Robert Graves -

Whenever Alexa had a successful concert or they clinched a contract for her, Jackie would buy her a gift to remember the event… It didn’t have to be big or small, neither cheap nor expensive but Jackie just made it a habit to give her wards incentives for a successful negotiation…  This time Jackie decided to give her a necklace, one she knew Alexa would really like - gold necklace with diamond-studded pendant shaped like a butterfly…  It was then that James joined her…

James :  That is a very beautiful necklace…

Jackie :  I know and I’m sure Alexa will like this…

James :  Oh…  Is that for her? (Jackie nodded…)  That is very thoughtful of you…  But why a butterfly?

Jackie :  She loves anything that is shaped like it…  (Just then, she saw Alexa coming…)

James :  Hi…  So, you are here  (Alexa smiled at him…)  Where is David?

Alexa :  Hi, Mr. Yin…  I left him with Crissy…  Hi Tita…  I’m sorry we just arrived…  I fell asleep on our way here and he did not want to wake me…

Jackie :  It’s alright…  We have a long day ahead, you should grab it while you can…  You can sleep again on the plane…  I got something for you but I still have to pay for it…

Alexa thanked Jackie and smiled…  She asked to be excused to join Crissy and David who were now with Val…  James’ eyes did not fail him when he saw the ring that was now on her finger…  A little apprehensive though, he could not help but smile on this development…  It just confirmed what he had been suspecting all along…  Jackie saw that smile on his face…

Jackie :  And what was that smile all about?

James :  Remember what we talked about this morning?  I think I just confirmed it…  The ring on her finger once belonged to David…  And I must tell you that it had been with him for a long time now since his first hit album…  I’ve never seen it leave his finger until now at least…

Jackie :  Is that so?  (She deliberately did not mention to James what she saw at the suite earlier…)  Hmmm…  I suspected it but until she tells me herself I would assume she will return it when the show is over…

James :  He will give anything except that!!!  Trisha never got that ring considering she was the longest he’d ever dated…

Jackie noticed his jaw twitched looking past her shoulder and turned around to see…  Concerned, Jackie wondered why she got the feeling that James was not happy when he recognized the person now approaching them…

James :  Jason, what are you doing here?

Jason :  Hello, James…  I’m just browsing around…  I’m going to the Philippines on business and just here to wait for the boarding call…

James :  By the way, Jackie…  This is Mr. Jason Hao…  He is the night manager at the hotel where you stayed…  Jason, this is the manager of Alexa, Jackie Valencia…

Jackie :  Oh James, how old are you?  I met him already, remember?  He was with Alexa the first time they went to the Philippines, right, Jason?

Jason :  Yes, ma’am…  Hi, Ms. Jackie…

James :  Oh yes, that’s right…  I’m sorry, I forgot…

Soon Crissy and Val also were with them…  Crissy was surprised to see Jason but Val didn’t like it because he was aware that David didn’t want to be seen with him in public…