Chapter 38

Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness…  - Bertrand Russell -

At exactly eight that evening, David picked Alexa up at the hotel for their dinner…  He marveled at the sight of Alexa who was wearing the black satin ensemble that he gave her…

David : You look very beautiful…

Alexa :  (Blushing as he kept staring at her…)  You are staring again…  Shall we go?

Crissy who had just finished packing Alexa’s belongings came out of her room and saw them just before they left and could not help but be hopeful that everything would turn out well for her friend this time…

__________________________

Alexa :  Xiang Jin, if you don’t keep your eyes on the road, it is likely that we will not reach the restaurant alive…  You are turning to be a hateful man don’t you know that?  (Noticing the naughty look in his eyes as he looked at her…)

David :  (Reaching out at the back of her neck and giving it a gentle squeeze…)  Now why would my precious temptress feel shy with the way I look at her?  You did not behave that way earlier…

Alexa :  (She glared at him as she was reminded of what had transpired earlier at the beach…)  Ohhh, stop it!!!  You have to forget about that or I will be forced to reconsider about us…

David :  (He shot back an angry look at her immediately changing his mood…)  Don’t you dare say that again even as a joke, Allesandra…  That is definitely not fair…

Alexa :  (Never to be intimidated…)  Then stop embarrassing me!!!

Neither of them dared to speak after that…  Alexa wanted to apologize knowing it was wrong for her to compromise their relationship in such a minor repartee but pride overcame her…  At the parking lot of the restaurant, David did not make a move to get out of the car…

Alexa :  I am sorry…

David :  Please don’t say that again…  I am determined to make this relationship work…  Please don’t make a mockery out of it…

David got out of the car and held the door for her…  David took her into his arm and gently gave her a kiss on her lips…

David :  Are you ready?  This will be our first date as a real couple…  Are you nervous?  I am…

Alexa :  What???  You mean you don’t treat the others to a fine restaurant like this?

David :  It’s not that…  This is the first time I am dating the woman that I love and I’m scared that something might ruin my night with her…

Alexa :  Relax…  Shall we go?

David :  (He gave a loud laugh…)  Now she’s telling me to relax…

As soon as they arrived at the dining area, they were immediately escorted to their table…  All eyes were on them when the other patrons got wind that they were there and Alexa started to feel nervous…  David sensed her apprehension and possessively wound an arm around her waist to assuage her fear…  They looked very much like a couple…  The ladies envied her but David did not like the way some men ogled at her…  Alexa was relieved to see two familiar faces sitting at a table near where they were being led…

Alexa :  Hon, my watchers are here…  (Pointing in the direction of her bodyguards…)

David :  Of course!!! I knew it would be crowded by this time…  I would not dare risk your safety…  So relax…