Chapter 83

I have realized that it is not love that fails, it is people…  Those same people with anger in their hearts have failed to see that it was they who were not strong enough to wield love’s power, not love that wasn’t strong enough to transform them…

At the airport, Alexa behaved and did whatever David told her…  He wanted to do more for her but did not know where to begin…  Once they were settled to their seats, he took her in his arms…  Alexa’s head throbbed she closed her eyes tight hoping the pain would go away…  David knew she was trying to endure the pain for him and he loved her more…

David :  Am I hurting you?  Tell me, Hon, if you are not comfortable…  You don’t have to put on a brave front…  We are airborne now so I can’t send you home…  (Alexa looked at him with a smile he loved to see on her…)

Alexa :  Are you really going to send me home?

David :  Did you think I would?  Is that why you try to hide the pain?  Did you really believe that after finally admitting that you really love me I would not want you beside me especially today?

Alexa :  (She pretended to forget what she told him earlier…)  When did I do that?

David :  (Annoyed at her charade…)  DON’T… you dare pretend you do not remember what you said this morning, Alexa…  I will understand if you forgot about what you said last night but not this morning…

Alexa :  What would you do if I don’t remember, Xiang Jin?  What are you going to do?  Run to what’s-her-name?  (She challenged him…)

David :  (He took his arms off her, straightened her up comfortably before he settled himself in his seat…  He closed his eyes as he tried calm himself down…)  It will be a long trip…  Why don’t you rest?

Alexa :  Are you angry?  (David did not answer…)  I’m sorry if I made you angry…  (When she got no answer from him, she reached out for her bag that was on the floor and retrieved her gift for David…)  If you will open your eyes, I have something for you…  HAPPY BIRTHDAY…

David half-opened an eye and saw a box being held out before him…  He took it and closed his eyes again mumbling a simple…

David :  Thank you…

Alexa :  Are you not going to open it?  Finding it wasn’t easy you know…  (David remained unperturbed…  Alexa could not do anything but to give in…)  Okay, wo ai ni, Xiang Jin…  (David again half-opened an eye and looked at her…)

David :  (He gently took her in his arms and kissed her on the forehead, then the tip of her nose before he finally captured her lips with his…  When he released her, she was breathless…)  Do I have to open this now?  What is it?  (Alexa was silent as David got a glimpse of the box and as soon as he saw what it contained, his excitement grew…)  Is this what I think it is?  How were you able to get hold of one when I’ve search for this and failed to acquire one…  How did you know?

Alexa :  Jason helped and through the internet I got lucky…  See for yourself…

He took the racing car out of the box and the smile that radiated from his face was something Alexa had never seen before…  It was as if the child in him unfolded right before her eyes…  He turned to look for Val who was just behind him sitting beside Crissy…  He was wearing the same expression and Val was really amused…  David showed his gift to Val…

Val :  Where did you get it?

David :  I just received the most precious gifts, my friend…  (With Alexa in his arms and the car in his hand, Val did not have to guess…)