Chapter 121

Peace shall thatch the roof and love shall latch the door— But what if I heard my first love calling me once more? - Sarah Teasdale -

David slept in suite that night dreaming again of Alexa, this time she seemed in pain calling out to him when he was rouse from sleep by what he thought was a loud cry from an infant and since no one was with him inside the room, he went to take a look outside... The living room was dark and quiet with only a faint sound of Val snoring from fatigue in his room as they had just arrived from a concert held in Hong Kong... He thought he must have just been dreaming of that too and laughed at himself but the stillness of the night made him think of Alexa... In the dark, he sat on the sofa reminiscing the days when he held her in his arms... No one has ever given me so much happiness as much as you did and so much pain too... But you were wrong this time... I am sorry if I endangered your life but please be well... If you choose to be where I could not find you, I'll let go... Just be well, darling...

As he poured himself a drink to help him sleep again, he thought of his dream... It wasn't the first time that he dreamt of Alexa and everytime he would see her face, she would be crying... That night though, it was different... He saw her writhing in pain although he couldn't see from where... Then he thought of what had awaken him... "Did I really hear a baby's cry or was it in the same dream?" he asked himself... He was sure to have heard a baby's cry... He took the note she left him from his wallet and reread it and then he remembered their last conversation... Alexa was telling him about a surprise and how much she wanted him to be there with her... "She did not give me the note so she must have changed her mind about leaving me... What happened to make you write that note? And what changed your mind? Could it be...... Oh God, if it were true, please let them be safe..."

__________________________

Almost a week had passed since she had given birth when one morning, Alexa woke up at the sound of babies crying inside her room... Jason, Crissy and Sarah were all requested to go out of the room as it was feeding time for the babies...

Nurse : Good morning, mommy... Your babies are here for breastfeeding...

Alexa : Both of them at the same time?

Nurse : Yes but you have to wipe those nipples clean first...

All of a sudden she was wide-awake and excited to see her babies for the first time since they were taken out of the incubator... She took both of them in each arm and as soon as she saw their faces, she cried... She could not describe what she felt at that moment as they fed themselves... For Alexa, all the pain she felt was all worth it seeing them in her arms feeding from her breasts... Then her expression changed as she could almost hear David saying... "Hmm... I wonder what my child would look like... Hon, what if you get pregnant?" Then she thought, still looking at the tiy bundles in her arm, "You both have your Daddy's eyes..." She missed David but she couldn't help hurting when she thought of the time she saw Trisha in her father's shirt, in David's suite... "How could you allow her to wear my shirt, David..."

She placed the babies on her bed when she finished feeding them and stared at them... She gently caressed their faces and tears ran down her cheeks... Just then the same nurse came in for their medicine...

Alexa : They are rather small and delicate, aren't they? Did they really come from me? Geez, they are beautiful!!! (She thought how David would look when he sees her feeding them... She thought of calling but the thought of Trisha in her father's shirt inside their room infuriated her...)

Nurse : Yes, they are smaller... And yes they came from you... But don't worry, madame... They'll grow big and strong in no time at all, you'll see... (And before she left the room...) I'll come back for them in half an hour, madame... (With her eyes fixed on the little ones, Alexa nodded without looking at her...)