Chapter 49

It is the passion that is in a kiss that gives to it its sweetness; it is the affection in a kiss that sanctifies it…    - Christian Nestell Bovee - 

Lunch was always good in their house…  Val had a sumptuous meal but this time David was just not hungry…  He felt the tension by the minute that passed him by…  As he paced the beautiful garden of his parents home, he tried to calm himself but his agitation was too much for him…  “Call me, Alexa…”  He talked to the phone urgently hoping her heart would hear him…  The hour passed…  His temper was running short every minute that passed by without her call…  “Something might have happened to her!!!”  Val’s phone rang and judging from the look on his face he knew it was Crissy Val was talking to…  When Val ended his call, he talked to David…

Val :  That was Crissy…  They just arrived…  I’m afraid Alexa might not be able to call because she is now in the middle of a press conference…

Val could not read what’s on David’s mind at that moment but he was sure he was disappointed…  He was silent as he held on to his phone tight…  When finally it rang, he answered immediately but to his agitation, it was not Alexa but James who telling him to call Alexa because she was in the middle of the press conference and it was an opportunity to create news about them…  He pressed her number and waited impatiently for an answer…  All this time his mom was watching and she felt happiness as she observed him pacing nervously in the garden…  She recorded every move and every turn…  Even when his phone rang, she knew it wasn’t her seeing the expression disappointment on his face, the sudden change from annoyance to a happy smile when finally he heard her voice…  It had been a long time since she had seen the smile…  In fact, she remembered exactly when that smile lost its luster from his face and till now she felt really sad that it was Jason who took it away from him…  The time his brother broke the gift she gave him…  They were in a department store in the US when this model car caught his fancy…  He had been eyeing it for quite sometime then but it was very expensive…  Although they could very well afford it, he would prefer that such an expensive indulgence of collecting model cars should be paid for by him and not by his parents…  She bought it for him though after he made her a promise to take very good care of it…  He valued all his promises as his mom had always kept hers…  And Marianne knew he left home because he felt that he broke his word and though she wanted to stop him from leaving she respected his feelings…  And that smile was back…  Somehow, she felt a bit jealous that she does not own that smile anymore…

As for David, he never made any more promises since then until that night at the balcony with Alexa… 

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­__________________________