Chapter 168: Slipping.

Cassidy's P.O.V.

My life turned upside down that night.

Have you ever woken up one morning, thinking about how your day is gonna play out? Assuming that day is just gonna be another ordinary day? Though in reality, in just a few hours, your entire life was gonna change?

Yea, me too.

My heart stopped when I saw the explosion.

Everything around me went mute as the scene began to play in slow motion.

I didnt even have it in me to scream or cry.

For the past hour we'd been sitting in the truck, waiting.

I had called Cato to let him know that Stormy was hurt so he sent someone out to come get him. Cato was in California at the moment but was on his way to Minnesota after I told him what was happening. Sehrem, Raes, and Simartè were on their way as well but they were about two hours away when I last talked to them.

Sehrem told me not to interfere with what was happening.

He said that this was it.

River and Mara had to do this. Together.

And I still had hope that they would make it out until I saw the building explode.

"No no no no no...." Max said over and over again as he quickly jumped out of the truck and took off running towards the fire inflamed building.

"Max no!" I screamed.

But he was zoned out.

Legend was then about to get out but I grabbed his arm.

"He's my brother!" He yelled as he yanked his arm away and took off running behind Max.

I couldn't even fully process what was happening.

Its like everything was happening so fast.

"Mom..." Said Rome.

I turned to look at him.

Horror was written all over his face as he started to shake in fear.

"Hey its okay. He's fine." I said as I pulled him into a tight hug and held him. "He's okay."

...
Max's P.O.V.

I made my way inside and was instantly met with the overwhelming heat and smoke.
Legend ran in behind me and we tried navigating through the building which was extremely difficult as it was hard to breathe and the fallen debris made it hard to get anywhere.

"Help! Please!" I heard a yell.

It was Mara.

We followed the source of her yell and came upon a destroyed hall engulfed with flames.

We maneuvered our way through the flames and saw Mara sitting on the ground next to River, holding his hand and crying her eyes out as he sat with his back against the wall, not moving at all.

"I tried to stop him." She cried. "I made a decision but then he did it anyways. I tried to stop him but he wouldnt listen. I begged him not to."

...

Sehrem's P.O.V.

Raes, Simartè, and I arrived at the building and went straight inside.

The building was huge so we didn't really know where to go.

"He's hurt." Said Simartè. "Badly."

Fortunately Max and Legend turned a corner and started heading towards us carrying Apollo as Mara followed.

"We have to get him back to the rift!" Said Mara.

"No." I replied. "We have to get him to a hospital. The rift's too far. He's barely hanging on."

"Why'd Stormy get taken back to the rift then?"

"Because the bullet took him out instantly. There are very few things that can kill Stormy... A regular doctor won't be able to find out what happened. Apollo on the other hand is still alive though his breathing and pulse are failing. We have to get him help as soon as we can. The rift's too far."

"He's in pain." Said Simartè, holding back tears.

"How do you know?" Asked Mara.

"Because I can feel it...."

"So he's conscious?"

"Yes and no..."

We made it out of the building and hurried Apollo to the car.

After getting him inside, Max ran back to his truck as Simartè sat in the back with Apollo while I drove and Raes called father.

"He's not going to make it..." Said Simartè as she held onto his hand. "He's dying."

"Which is why we're getting him help." I replied. "He's going to be okay."

"No... He's not... He's not responding to me. I can't reach him... He's slipping..."