Chapter 9: Legend-ary Day

Cassidy's POV

I sat on the sofa next to River. He was completely out of it. His face was flushed. He looked extremely vulnerable for once...but I didn't like it. I honestly just felt like wrapping him up in a blanket and hiding him from the rest of the world.

"River, are you okay?" I asked as I placed my hand on his lap.

He looked down at my hand and grabbed it, entangling it with his.
"I'm fine." He replied. I knew he was lying.

"No you're not." I held on to his hand tighter.

"I am."

I wanted to help him but he just wasn't letting me in. It made me sad just seeing him like this.

"Look me in the eyes then and tell me you're okay."

"I can't." He said as he let go of my hand.

I was lost...completely taken back.

"Why not?" I asked as I reached for his hand again but he pushed it away.

"Because if I do, I kow I'm gonna kiss you." He cupped his hands together and turned his head away from me obviously trying to hide something.

"Maybe I want you to." I responded sincerely.

He turned his head around to face me again and focused his eyes directly into mine.

"No you don't. You're starting to warm up to me...which is bad. I don't want you falling for me Cassidy. I did at first, but not anymore." He said.

"Why not? River, what's going on?" I was still extremely confused about why he was upset.

He raised his head and kissed my hand then finally looked me in the eyes.

"Because the epitome of a bad guy. And you deserve so much better. I haven't even known you for a month yet I think you're absolutely amazing. You deserve a guy thats gonna make you happy and make your life easier. I honestly don't think that guy is me. I care about you, I really do. Which is why I cant pursue a relationship with you because you're only gonna get hurt. Max told you about how the majority of my relationships have played out and Cassidy, he wasn't lying."

My heart stopped. I knew he treated girls like crap but actually hearing him admit it kind of hurt.

"But remember what you told Jordan?" I asked. "You said that people change."

He let go of my hands but continued to look me in the eyes. "They do. Just not me."

He stood up and took Jordan's sweatpants off as his grabbed his jeans and put them on. He threw his shirt back on as well as his shoes, grabbed his phone and made his way towards my room door to leave.

"Wait- River..." I stopped him before he opened it. I still had a question. He stopped as he had his hand on the door and slightly turned his head waiting for me to speak.

"How do you really feel about me?" I hesitantly asked.

He bit his lower lip and left out of the room...without answering.

My mind was going crazy. I couldn't fully process what had happened. I needed to know what was wrong with him. He was hiding something and he didn't wanna tell me. He was hiding something important. And whatever it was, it was making him push me away. I needed an answer.

....................................

After thinking about what had just happened for 20 minutes, I went into the living room. AJ and Jordan were sitting on the couch across from the TV. Lindsay and Max were sharing the recliner.