Chapter 163: Adulting is Hard.

*3 years later*

River's P.O.V.

"Come on Mara, you're simply being aggressive and not using your head."

She charged at me again and went for a high reverse roundhouse kick to my face but I caught her foot and flipped her as she landed on the ground and just laid there in frustration.

"I can't compete with you in a fight Apollo!" She complained. "Its impossible!"

"Yes you can but as I said before you're not using your head."

"Yes I am! You just see every move I'm about to make before I actually make it!"

"Exactly. You're too predictable."

"No, you just fight like you're a god."

I sat on the ground next to her as she continued to lay down in frustration.

"Once I learned how to fight..." I began. "I never got my ass kicked again. You know why? Because instead of zoning out and letting my hands do the work I actually take the time to read my opponent while I'm fighting. I started to pay attention to their patterns and once I caught on I pretty much became unbeatable. You cant be predictable. You cant develop a pattern when you fight."

"But I don't try to."

"Mara I've been training you for the last 7 years and the only thing that hasn't changed about you is the fact that you love sticking to a routine even subconsciously."

"You're training me for combat though Apollo. Our main focus should be on my powers not my ability to fight."

"We use our powers as a last resort Mara. Our powers can kill. We don't just go around killing people just because we're able to. We only use our powers when we're on the verge of death. Which means your ability to fight is very crucial. And the better you are at it the better you are physically, strategically, and cognitively which in turn helps you to get a better grasp on your powers."

"Nah, I'm convinced that you just like beating me up."

"I don't even beat you up.... When have I ever actually had a full on fight with you?"

"You kicked me in the chest and sent me flying into the wall like 5 minutes ago..."

"I was testing your defense... You're acting like I'm sucker punching you to the verge of unconsciousness."

"You did that yesterday..."

"And I apologized for it now come on honey bunches of oats, we've still got two hours of training left."

"I've told you not to call me that."

"Its been 7 years get over it."

"Just kick him in the nose." Said Logan as he walked into the training room.