Chapter 100: Tragedy Strikes

River's P.O.V.

Stormy and I hid alongside the wall of the safehouse, planning how we were gonna make it to the armored trucks.

"We can just use the trees to shield us from everyone. The shadows will hide us." Stormy suggested.

"No, the trees are still too close to the trucks. If we happen to get caught we're dead. We have to just make a run for it through the middle."

"We're even more exposed if we do that."

"Yea but at least we'll have Mathias and Rex covering us. If we go through the trees then we wont and anything could go wrong."

"Are you sure about this River?"

"Nope. But its our best bet."

He checked to see if his gun was loaded then took a deep breath. "Lets do it then."

We carefully looked around the corner to see just how many people we were up against.

There were at least 120.

"We're dead." Said Stormy. "We're already dead and we haven't even ran out there yet.

"Stormy stop worrying." I replied. "Getting to the trucks is the easy part. Getting out however is the hard part."

"Well lets not waste time talking then."

"One more thing." I began. "If either one of us gets taken out trying to get to those trucks, we wont stop. Meaning if I get shot down you will not stop to help me. Peter is our main priority."

"But Mathias said-"

"Whatever Mathias said wont matter 2 hours from now when he's dead because you decided to try to save my ass instead of killing Peter."

"Touché..." He replied after thinking about it for a moment.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Do i really have a choice?" He remarked.

We counted to 3 then took off straight towards the trucks.

It felt like we were running through a battlefield.

We didn't shoot our guns not one time because we figured that it'd only slow us down while we ran.

Yet there were still bodies falling all around us.

Every person that came at us was immediately shot down by Mat and Rex.

Then there came a moment when a group of about 7 men charged at us simultaneously.

I knew that Mathias and Rex wouldn't have been able to take them all out with Stormy and I in the way but then again I knew that if we tried dropping to the ground for even a split second we were still in risk of someone else shooting.

But then all of a sudden, as we were getting closer to the men one of them pointed their gun straight at Stormy. Stormy wasnt paying attention and he didn't hear me warn him to get out of the way.

My reflexes immediately kicked in and I tackled Stormy to the ground just as the bullet went flying past his head.

He stared at me in shock.

"I.... Almost... Died..." He managed to say.

"I know." I replied as I pulled him up and we started running again.
Just as I thought we were about to collide with the 7 men, I didn't see them running towards us anymore. In fact all 7 of them were laying on the ground up ahead.