Chapter 6: Things Aren't As They Seem

Well I kept my promise of not going to class the next day. Instead I just stayed home with my thoughts focusing on what happened the day before. My friend Max came over to keep me company. Although, I kept tuning him out not hearing what he was saying.

"Ehfjdjdnsis..." I heard Max say.

I quickly focused my attention on him. 

"What?" I asked.

"I said I heard that you have my buddy River as a professor." He responded.

I immediately got butterflies when I heard him say professor Carson's actual name.

"Yeah I um...I do." I replied.

"Why so nervous?" Max asked.

"Nervous? I'm not nervous at all." I said trying to fake a smile.

"Oh my god, piccola are you blushing?" He asked as he stared at me.

Piccola was what Max has always called me. Don't ask why because I absolutely have no idea at all.

I tried to turn my face so he wouldn't see me. "No, I'm not blushing Max just shut up."

"You're totally blushing!!!!" He yelled trying to keep himself from laughing. "Do you have a thing for him?"

"No I don't have a thing for him!"

"Its fine if you do. I mean, I wouldn't blame you. River's hot. Tons of girls gush over him."

"Do they really?" I asked no longer trying to hide my blushed face.

"Yea of course. Although if I were you I wouldn't let myself fall for him even more." Max said in all seriousness.

"Why not?" I asked curiously.

"Well, even though River's one of my closest friends, the guy has major commitment issues. And not only that...he also has huge egotistical problems."

"What do you mean?" I asked as I got up from the couch and sat on the floor indian style next to Max. "I mean I know that he's cocky but... it's worse than that?"

"What I mean is that River thinks he's too good for anyone. He's extremely full of himself and unbelievably stuck up and he knows it. He plays tons of girls and makes them fall for him just to get in their pants. Now don't get me wrong, River's a great guy...just not when it comes to relationships. He manipulates women by making them think he wants to be with them. But when they finally give in he just has sex with them, cheats on them, then breaks their heart. One time he broke up with a girl and straight up laughed in her face after she broke down crying because she was head over heels in love with him. He hasn't had a stable relationship in years and doesn't want one. He always says that no woman can live up to his expectations therefore no one deserves him."

My heart stopped. I couldn't believe what Max was telling me. A part of me was angry as hell but the other part was sad. I knew I had to tell him what was going on. He was the only one that could guide me.

"He and I almost kissed yesterday." I admitted.

"What?" He asked as he gave me a surprised look.

"I went into his office and he apologized for what he said about me at Sabrina's house and when I tried to leave he grabbed my arm, pulled me to his chest, and I almost kissed him." I said in one breath. Thats when a thought came to me. "Is he dating anyone?" I asked.

"Yea. Yea he is. Which is why you should forget about him."

"But, he wanted me to kiss him. And he looked like he was genuinely sorry for what he said." I argued.

"He's playing you babygirl. It's what he does."

"I- I don't think he is. Max the way he looked at me was-"

"Like he wants you?" Max interrupted. "He looked at you with lustful eyes. He made you feel like he wanted you. Don't give in to that. I've seen him do it to other girls. I've literally beared witness to it."

"You don't understand." I mumbled. "He looked at me and I felt something. I don't know what it was though."

"You're being manipulated."

"You don't know what you're talking about..." I insisted.

Max wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him as I layed my head on him.

"Cassidy, I just don't want you falling for this guy. He's a great friend but when it comes to girls he's nothing but trouble. The only reason I'm doing this is because I promised Xander I'd watch over you. He'd kick my ass if he found out I was letting you date a guy like River. And you know that."

I nodded my head, saying that I understood. I grew up with Max. Xander (short for Alexander) is my older brother. Him and Max are the same age and have been best friends since 1st grade. But after they both graduated from college Xander stayed in Colorado to pursue a career in the medical field while Max moved to Minnesota and eventually worked his way up to being the chairman of the Board of Trustees for colleges and universities throughout Minnesota. In fact, that's the reason why J and I are in Minnesota. Since Max has such a high position on the College Board he was able to grant us full ride scholarships to our university. When I first moved here, Xander called up Max and basically straight up told him to watch over me and to not let me do anything too stupid. At first I was kind of annoyed by it but as these two years continue to go on, I'm extremely thankful for Max. He's gotten J, Lindsay, AJ and I out of sooooo much trouble it's unbelievable. I haven't visited Xander (or Colorado in general) in almost a year so I missed him like crazy. And since he's not here, Max is the next thing to a big brother that I have. So when he told me that he didn't want me falling for River I took it to heart and decided he was right.

We sat and watched TV for a while as we waited for J. About two hours later he made it home and looked extremely exhausted.

"What's wrong with you? Long day?" I asked him.

"Oh, if only you knew." Jordan replied. "My psychology professor gave us a shitload of notes for the exam that's coming up, I got a parking ticket from the campus officer, and professor Carson acted weird during the entire class today."

"Professor Carson? How? What happened?" I asked extremely curious at this point.

"Well first of all, as soon as I walked into class he asked me where you were and I told him you weren't feeling good. He kind of nodded his head okay but I don't think he believed me. And then for the rest of class he just- wasn't himself. He didn't crack any of his infamous jokes, he didn't have that stupid smile glued on his face like he usually does, and he was a lot ruder."

"Hm, I wonder why."

"But anyways, Lindsay, AJ and I are going out to a club tonight, you coming or nah?" J asked.

"Yea. I needa take my mind off of things." I answered.

"Um, how about no." Max said.

"What?" J and I replied simultaneously.

"Must I really repeat myself? 19 year olds shouldn't be out clubbing. Especially you three. Now, if it was only one of you going, I probably wouldn't have said no but since its all four of you there's no way you guys are going." Max stated as he gave us a warning glare.

"Dude we can control ourselves in public. There's no need to treat us like kids." Jordan responded in annoyance.

"No you can't. When you all are together it's complete hell. Somehow, a fight always breaks out and I'm always the one that has to pick you up from damn police departments." Max's gaze on us intensified.

"Ok ok, we won't go." Jordan finally gave in.

"Good." Max stood up and walked towards the front door. "Now, I have to get going...have a meeting at 5...can't be late."

I made my way to the door and closed it after he walked out.

"We're totally going out tonight." J said.

I laughed and nodded my head. I knew he was gonna say that. But I didn't know just how awkward that night was gonna be.