Chapter 130: Stumbling

Cassidy's P

Cassidy's P.O.V.

I was woken up by someone gently shaking me.

I opened my eyes to see River standing over me.

"Come with me." He said.

Without questioning him I got up and slipped on my converse, attempting to be as quiet as I could because Tommy was sleeping.

I followed River outside and into the front yard. We sat on the porch as he took out a piece of paper from his pocket.

He then grabbed my index and was about to slide the edge of the paper across it until I pulled my finger away.

"What are you doing?" I asked, confused.

"You said that you wanna know what I'm able to do. So I'm showing you because, like I said, if I just told you you wouldn't believe me."

He reached for my hand then held my index finger. He slowly slid the edge of the paper across the tip of my finger and I winced in pain.

I stared down at my paper cut wondering why that was necessary.

The longer I stared at it the more it started to hurt.

After putting the paper down he grabbed my finger again and enclosed it in his hand then he stared into my eyes.

And the pain began to gradually go away....

Seconds later he let go of my finger and the pain was completely gone.

I'd never been so confused in my life.

"Wha- how- huh??" I struggled to get the words out.

"I took your pain."

"How is that even possible?"

"I told you I can do things. A lot of things. That's just one of them."

"I didn't think you meant 'that' kind of thing."

I still couldn't wrap my mind around what had just happened.

"So the paper cut is gone?" I asked. "Its healed?"

"No, I can't heal. I can only take the pain away. Kaiser on the other hand, he'll be able to heal almost any wound, internally and externally."

"Is that his gift?"

"No. That's just part of it. His gift is much bigger than that."

"So where does the pain go when you take it away?"

"I told you, I absorb it. Your pain is my pain now."

"So you can feel the paper cut?"

"Yep and it hurts like hell." He replied causing me to giggle.

"Can you absorb any amount of pain?"

"No, I can only take a certain amount. Trying to absorb too much could kill me. A few years ago there wasn't a limit to how much I could take. I was also able to heal. But things happened and now I can only handle so much."

"I feel like I'm dreaming right now. There's no way this is real."

"If you find that hard to believe then you'd probably shit bricks if I showed you just what I can do..."

"This is- amazing River."

It was about 3 in the morning but we stayed outside for at least 2 hours just talking.

It was honestly the best night I'd had in France since we got there.

Eventually I became so tired though that I started stumbling on my words.

"You should probably get some rest." He laughed.

"You're right." I replied. "I'm exhausted... Thanks for finally showing me."

"Well I figured you deserved to know a little of what's really going on. Just please keep this between us."

"Of course." I retorted as I stood up. "I guess I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight." He said.

"Goodnight." I responded as I opened the front door. " I love you."

Then I froze.

Did I really just say that.

Holy hell.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that it just kinda slipped out because I'm so used to saying it and I-"

"Cassidy." He interrupted me as he chuckled. "I love you too."

That put the stupidest and biggest smile ever on my face.

"Sweet dreams beautiful." He flashed that perfect little smile at me one last time as I went back inside.

I couldn't stop blushing.