Chapter 45

Love robs those who have it of their wit, and gives it to those who have none…   - Denis Diderot -

The ride to the airport was spent more on David doing most of the talking…  Alexa went with David in his car while Jackie, Crissy and Val were in James’ car…  The car provided by the studio had their entire luggage…  David held Alexa’s hand most of the way…  The times he released her were only when he would shift gears and when he did, he will place her hand on his lap…  He was already missing her…  When reality hit him, he was saddened…  In David”s mind, they will part ways and he would not know when they would see each other again…  Her schedule for the whole month would hardly even give her time to think about him…

Alexa remained silent…  What happened at the beach and the night before, being held by him today would just be a part of a beautiful memory of Taiwan…  And David, the only man whom she had allowed to touch her intimately, a very special memory…  She resolved that these would all be what she would be taking with her back home…  But the knowledge that she would be seeing him in a month scared her…  Would she be able to resist him now that she had allowed him to cross the boundaries beyond kissing?  She had already psyched herself that eventually David would realize that he was not in love with her and would soon ask for his freedom…  She really did not believe in long distance relationships and with David who was used to having women around him would easily give up on it…  She could take that now…  But it’s different now that he would meet her again…  She really wished the hours could be shortened…  He was sitting beside her yet she was already missing him…  Would he still love her after she’d gone?  What if he found another woman to love before then?  The pain of ending all this somehow beleaguered her that, inadvertently, she gave him a squeeze…

David :  What is it?

Alexa :  What?  Oh, sorry…  Nothing is wrong…  (Immediately she took her hand off him and feeling embarrassed, she played with the ring on her finger…)

David :  (He teased her…)  Are you thinking of me?…  (Looking at her hand…)  You have been very quiet…  (When Alexa didn’t answer…  He took possession of her hand again and gave it a tight squeeze…)  What is inside that beautiful head, hon?  (He was bothered by her indifference…  He released her hand that was on his lap and hit the wheel so hard it startled her…  His jaw twitched and his face had turned red with anger and frustration…  He asked for his phone and dialed James’ number…)  James, go ahead…  We will be at the airport soon…  I have some things to settle…  (Not waiting for his reply he put down his phone…  He eased the car to the side of the road and stopped…)  Your silence bothers me…  I want to know what’s on your mind…  Don’t leave like this…  Just wait for me…  I will settle everything and come for you…  Just be patient…

Alexa :  For how long are you going to love me David?  Right now, I don’t want anything from you except your love…

David :  And you’ve got it…

Alexa :  For how long?  (With David’s temper and annoyance starting to build up, he wanted to lash out at Alexa…)  Next month you have to be with me…  What if your love has gone by then?  I am so scared…

David :  (He looked at her disappointedly…)  All this time you have so little faith in me…  All this time you still do not believe me…  Why can’t you believe I am capable of loving you too?

Alexa :  If I did not turn off your cell phone last night it would have kept ringing till morning…  Trisha will never let go of you…  What if you find that it is Trisha you are really in love with?  Can you assure me that there will be no deceit on your part in this relationship?  Can you guarantee that no woman will come between us while we are apart?  That when you come to see me next month it is still me whom you love?  And what about her, have you really broken up with her?