Chapter 40

All love is probationary, a fact which frightens women and exhilarates men…   - Mignon McLaughlin -

The walk to the lobby was spent in silence…  At the lobby, David saw Jason at the front desk…  He felt his anger coming back to him and unknowingly he tightened his gripped her shoulder…  Jason saw them, too, witnessed the display of affection that one gave the other…  He was jealous and angry with his brother because he knew David would never love Alexa seriously…  Maybe the call was from him after all…  David pretended not to notice him…  Alexa felt the tension from the way David held her and was suddenly concerned…

Alexa :  What is it, David?  Is something bothering you?

She took his hands from her shoulder and so as not to offend him, she cheekily hooked her arm around his taking the same arm possessively with the other…  He realized that he hurt her but how she held onto him now he wondered if she held Gio the same way…  Then he remembered the time they spent at the beach and he imagined her in Gio’s arms…  He balled his hand into a fist thinking he was not alone in her heart at the moment…  He was unusually quiet as they walked towards the elevator…  He released the hand that encircled his arm wrapped her by the waist possessively almost hurting her as he pulled her closer to him…

Alexa :  David…  What is it?  I know there is something wrong…  Please tell me…

David :  Later…  I will tell you everything that’s bothering me…

She did not understand what made him so agitated but once they were inside the elevator she allowed herself to be enthralled in his arms to allay his anxiety…  He loosened his hold to look at her and he was mesmerized…  He drew a line from between her eyes to the tip of her nose teasing her and gave it a quick peck…  Next he traced her lips and kissed it too…  He then became cocky as he turned his gaze on her cleavage that her dress bared…  His finger drew another line from her chin down to her throat and before he could find his target her hand caught his finger…  Looking straight into her eyes he freed his hand from her hold and continued on from where he was stopped…  Alexa shivered and her heart raced as he slowly inch his way exposing more skin…  Before he could accomplish more, the door opened to their floor…

David :  (Aware of the passion he awakened in her, he teased…)  Relax…  You are saved…

Alexa rang the doorbell and Crissy opened the door…

Crissy :  Oh hi!  It’s good, you’re finally here!  (Smiling at David…)  Mr. Yin is here too…  Come on in…  (She held the door for them…)

Alexa :  Pahingi naman kami ng kape…[Could you bring us some coffee…]

Crissy :  Okay…  They are in the terrace…

Alexa :  (Addressing David now…)  Why don’t you go ahead while I change…

He nodded and went to the terrace and Alexa went straight to her room…  David, after greeting them, took the seat between them facing the door and as soon as his manager saw him…

James :  Where have you been?  Why did you turn your cell phones off?

David :  (Ignoring his manager, he addressed Alexa’s manager…)  Sorry, Jackie…  Its not Alexa’s fault…  It’s mine…  I took her cell phone and turned it off and hid it from her…

James looked at Jackie dumbfounded…  He just admitted doing something wrong…  James especially was lost for words…  Looking at Jackie, he seemed to ask her, “What has happened to my ward?  What did Alexa do to my ward?”  Jackie seemed to discern what his eye contact meant but she could only shrug her shoulders…  David took Jackie’s gesture as a sign that she’s upset and didn’t want to listen to him, that it’s between her and Alexa…

David :  Jackie, please don’t make it hard on her…

Jackie :  Alright…  But don’t let this happen again…

Crissy appeared with two cups of coffee…

Jackie :  Crissy, please see what’s keeping to Alexa…  Are you done packing her things?

Crissy :  Yes, everything’s okay now…  I’ll finish mine in a while…

Alexa came out of her room with one of her suitcases…  Actually, it did not take her long to come out of her room…  It’s just that they couldn’t start the discussion without her…  Crissy ran to her aid with the suitcase…  She told Alexa to leave the rest of her things and she would finish up for her and would just ask for Val’s help with the rest…  David saw her as she pushed the suitcase out to the living room…  Reality hit him again as he thought of her leaving the next day…  David noticed she has not change to a more comfortable outfit but he smiled, was amused as she walked towards them barefooted…  Alexa pouted her lips at him when she saw him looking at her feet…

Alexa :  Good evening, Mr. Yin…  Hi, Tita…  (She gave Jackie a kiss and slightly bowed her head to James as she greeted them…)  Sorry, Crissy has pack all my things except for what I will wear tonight and tomorrow…  (Looking at her feet…)  I am more comfortable without my shoes at home…  (A remark meant for David’s ear when she saw him looking at her feet…)  I hope you don’t mind…

James :  It’s alright… Did you have a good day?

Alexa : Yes, Mr. Yin…  Thanks to David…  He took me to a beach in…  (She could not remember the name of the place and turned to David…)  What’s the name of the place again, Ho…  (She almost slipped…)  David?

David :  (He almost laugh at her slip…)  Keelung…

Alexa :  There and then he took me for dinner to a good restaurant as a farewell treat…  (She said as she took her seat opposite David…)  I would have stayed another week but I have several commitments to fulfill starting tomorrow…  I will be really busy this month and I have several concerts lined up for me…  (She said it looking at David whose silence disturbed her…)

James :  Oh yes…  Jackie told me that you are going to the US for a series of concerts next month…  Anyway, since you are leaving tomorrow…  (David suddenly stood up, excused himself and told everyone he needed to go to the bathroom…  He avoided looking at Alexa…  All eyes followed him as he left…)  Where was I?  Oh yes, Jackie and I had a talk about what you will do during the time that you two are apart…  It is very important that you follow if we are to achieve what we are aiming for…  Jackie will explain everything to you…

Alexa :  (She did not understand what he meant…  She thought the relationship would end once they leave for home…  But she just acceded)  Alright…  What about David?

James :  Don’t worry about him…  I’ll make sure he does the same…  (Looked at his watch…)  I have to leave…  You better rest now…  What’s taking him so long?  I guess have to leave him behind…

When James left, Jackie went with him but left a word with Alexa…

Jackie :  We’ll talk tomorrow…  You rest early tonight, hmm?  You look tired…  Did you two have a fight again?  (Looking at the surprised Alexa she smiled and continued without waiting for an answer…)  Anyway, don’t stay up late anymore…

Crissy was talking to Val when Jackie left…  She joined Alexa who remained in the terrace to wait for David… 

Crissy :  Want some more coffee?  What’s taking him so long?  Alexa, is he your boyfriend now?  (Alexa nodded…)  For real?  (She nodded again…  Crissy was excited but she was also worried for her friend…)  We are leaving tomorrow, will you be okay?

Alexa :  Yes…  I just don’t know if David will be…  He’s been quiet all evening…  How about you?

Crissy :  We will burn the lines…  I don’t know…  We’ll see how far we can go with the relationship…

Alexa :  What’s taking him so long?  (She stood up to find him…)

__________________________