The Viewing

Warning: mentions of death

Y/N's POV:

"Whenever you're ready." Hailee stated, her hands in the pockets of her blazer as we waited in the lobby. I couldn't, I just couldn't say goodbye. "Love?"

"Mhm." I hummed in acknowledgment, keeping my gaze on the floor as memories flowed through my head.

We were at a viewing for one of my friends who passed away in a car crash. She was one of my best friends in the entire world and to receive the phone call from her sister that she passed away, really broke me. It felt like my whole world came crashing down.

I was in shock at first, I didn't want to believe it until her death made news. She swerved into a semi-truck, and died on the scene. I wanted to cry, and I haven't at all since I heard, but I knew that I would be full on sobbing the moment I walk up to that casket.

"Baby." Hailee walked towards me, wrapping her blazer around my shoulders as she cupped my face with her soft hands. I leaned into her touch, sniffling softly, tears stinging my eyes. "They're waiting for us. Are you ready? We don't have to if you don't want to, love, no one's pressuring you too." She promised, her words comforting me and bribing me major reassurance when I needed it the most. I'm grateful for her.

"No." I shook my head, looking up at her soft eyes. "I'm ready." I say, trying to sound as determined as possible. My girlfriend obviously saw right through it but she nodded her head anyway, intertwining our hands together and leading me into the main room.

All of our friends and family were there. Even my friends family was there. I had invited them, wanting them to be here.

Hailee have my hand a reassuring squeeze, slowly leading me through the crowd and over to the open casket. My mom paid her respects, stepping out of line as she gave me a sympathetic and encouraging smile. Hailee looked at me with worried eyes but I nodded at her, silently telling her I've got this.

"I'll be right here, darling." She kissed my forehead, slowly letting my hand go as she stood of slightly to the side, watching me.

I approached the casket, seeing my friend. Her hair was all done, and she was even wearing a beautiful black dress. I could feel a few tears falling down my cheeks. I move my hand on her cheek, feeling the coldness of them which only made my heart break more.

"I miss you." My voice cracks, leaning against the casket. "I wish you weren't taken so soon." She's been my friend since birth, and she died at age 21. I stood there for a moment, just looking at her. She was so still, it broke me even more. She's never been this still in her entire life and to see her like this... I can't. I really can't.

By now, I'm full on sobbing, my mascara is ruined and a bunch of stares are now on me as I hurry out of the room, rushing back down into the lobby. I crash into the chair, hugging my knees to my chest as I completely break down, letting all my emotions out.

I already knew Hailee had followed me since she already had her arms wrapping around me, pulling me in her lap. I sobbed more, completely soaking her shirt as I buried my face in her chest.

I feel... lost.

——————
A/N:

I've had the worst day ever. I'm not okay. This is actually based on today's events for me. I went to my mom's friends viewing and I've never, ever seen a dead body before, let alone ever been to a viewing or funeral. It really has me numb, to see the person I've grown up with, she was there my entire life. It's going to be really hard. I'm sad we won't be able to attend her funeral so today was the day,  said goodbye.

My internet is also shut down, I couldn't pay the bill so posting might be a little less recent. My brother lost his phone, we think it got stolen. And I've had a very stressful day today.

But I love you guys. 🫶🏻