v) Umbridge

Draco Malfoy

"A light silver vapour should now be rising from your potion." Snape calls with ten minutes left to go.

I check mine. Luckily it is issuing silver vapour. I know Fiona noticed that I have been keeping a close eye on her and doing exactly what she is. I am standing opposite her which makes the job easier.

I am Draco Malfoy, I should be able to do this without help. And I can but I am not about to mess it up. I trust only one person in this entire room to make the potion perfectly and I am doing exactly that.

"Potter, what is this supposed to be?"
Snape asks bringing me out of my thoughts. I look towards Potter's cauldron and see black smoke coming from it. A smirk comes to my face.

"The Draught of Peace." Potter says tensely.

"Tell me, Potter." Snape says softly. "Can you read?"

I laugh. Fiona rolls her eyes at me slightly.

"Yes, I can." Potter says, his fingers clenching tightly around his wand.

"Read the third line of the instructions for me, Potter."

"Add powdered moonstone, stir three times counter-clockwise, allow to simmer for seven minutes then add two drops of syrup of hellebore."

"Did you do everything on the third line, Potter?"

"No." Potter says very quietly.

"I beg your pardon?"

"No." Potter says, more loudly. "I forgot the hellebore."

"I know you did, Potter, which means that this mess is utterly worthless. Evanesce."

The contents of Potter's potion vanish, leaving him standing foolishly beside an empty cauldron.

"Those of you who have managed to read the instructions, fill one flagon with a sample of your potion, label it clearly with your name and bring it up to my desk for testing." Snape says. "Homework: twelve inches of parchment on the properties of moonstone and its uses in potion-making, to be handed in on Thursday."

After he has marked everyone's, Snape says loudly, "Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Potter, stay back."

Fiona and I look up surprised. Then we both glare at each other. It is the last thing we should do. We have taken to arguing with each other at any moment possible. Snape tolerates Slytherins in front of others but not behind closed doors. Fuck!

We wait until everyone has left. Finally Snape speaks. "Do you know the condition of the quidditch team?" He asks.

We exchange a confused look. "Not really." Fiona answers.

"You two are the only old members of the team." Snape informs us making both of our mouths fall open.

"What about Adrian Pucey?" Fiona asks immediately.

"He was in an accident and won't be playing this year." Snape answers. "As I was saying before you interrupted me, Ms. Potter, you are already the Captain and Mr. Malfoy, you are to be the Vice Captain."