xi) Inquisitorial Squad

As the letter from Sirius had said, I wait at 7 in the common room. Everyone else is at dinner. Surprisingly Draco comes in as well. I don't look towards him after what happened.

"Good to see you both are here." Sirius suddenly says from the fireplace startling both of us.

"Can you atleast announce yourself in a better way?" I ask trying to get my heart rate under control. "Merlin!"

"Sorry." Sirius says, his brows slightly furrowed and then they quickly relax. "But tell me how are things?"

"Not that good." Draco says with a sour face. "And nothing will be as long as Umbridge is here."

"Why do you hate Umbridge?" Sirius asks. I have been wondering about it too but haven't asked him because of... well, because of everything.

Draco gives me a side eye as if he doesn't want to say it in front of me. "Let's just say, I have a few not-so-pleasant memories of her from my childhood."

"That is surprising." Sirius says. His eyes dart towards me once. I am resolutely looking everywhere but at Draco.

Draco nods once quickly. When he doesn't say anything else I take over. "The Ministry's forced through another decree, which means we're not allowed to have quidditch teams or any teams or groups without permission."

"And do you have permission?" He asks.

"We do." Draco and I say at the same time. We look at each other and immediately look away.

"I know asking won't do any good but I still will. What happened?" Sirius asks.

"About what?" I ask back.
"Nothing else." Draco says at the sane time.

I really wish I could have thrust my hand in front of his mouth before he said that. I glare at him once but look back at Sirius.

"You know about what, Fiona." Sirius says seriously. "And, Draco, if you want to lie, do better."

A small smirk forms on my lips when Sirius says what I was thinking. But I quickly wipe it before either of them can see it.

"Whatever." Sirius says to both of us. "I need to go to the Gryffindor tower. I will talk with you later. I will send a message saying the time again."

"Be more discreet next time." I tell him.

Sirius doesn't reply and simply disappears. Without saying a word to Draco, I get up and go to see if I can have something to eat.

——–·——–

The next morning Harry gives me the bad news. "Umbridge caught Snuffles when he was talking to us."

"Does Umbridge know who he was talking to?" I ask.

Harry looks around once. "I think so, Fiona. Hedwig came back badly injured. Hermione reckons Umbridge read the message. It contained the time and location of talking with him."

"Was there anything to suggest that it was from Sirius?" I ask.

Harry shakes his head. "He didn't even sign the letter. I only recognised his handwriting."