xxiii) Third Task

"What exam have you got today?" I ask Draco, Pansy and Blaise.

"History of Magic." Pansy replies. Because I am a Triwizard Champion I have been exempted from giving the end of term exams.

"What are you going to do today?" Blaise asks.

I shrug. "I don't know. Maybe hang out with someone." I answer.

I notice Draco look towards Cedric once and I lean towards him. "He's dating Chang, remember." I whisper to him. Draco nods and looks away from him.

"Potter, the champions are congregating in the chamber off the Hall after breakfast." Snape says, appearing from somewhere.

"But the task's not till tonight." I say.

"I'm aware of that, Potter." He says. "The champions' families are invited to watch the final task. This is simply a chance for you to greet them." He moves away.

I turn back to the others in disbelief. "There is no one who will come to see me." I say.

"What about Krum's family?" Pansy asks surprised.

"I don't intend on speaking to them." I say shortly.

"You should still check." Draco says. "I know of someone who might just show up."

I smile a little. "I doubt it." I tell him and lean in a little. "It is almost time for full moon."

Draco nods and thinks about something. "You should still check." He says.

I nod. After the Great Hall clears, leaving the champions, we get up. I walk over to Vik. "How are you feeling?" I ask him.

"Dread." He answers. "I am guessing you won't be talking with them at all."

I shake my head. "Not a chance." I say. Vik nods.

Entering the room, everyone goes their separate ways. Vik goes to his family, Cedric to his, Fleur to hers. I notice Harry isn't with us and the Weasleys are here. And finally I notice Narcissa standing there alone.

I walk over to her smiling widely. She hugs me first before saying anything. After we pull away, she checks me properly.

"You are perfectly fine?" She asks me to confirm.

I nod. "I am. But I didn't expect you to come."

Narcissa nods. "When Lucius told me family is allowed to be present, I decided to come. At first he didn't approve but I knew I would come still."

I hug her again. "Thank you." I say.

"Where is Draco?" She asks.

"Giving finals." I answer. She nods. "You can show me around while we wait then." She suggests.

I nod smiling. I show her around the castle and for the first time ever, she seems like someone who can be carefree. I smile a little to myself.

"Draco will be surprised to see you." I say as we near the end of the tour.

She smiles. "That is my idea too." She says. "I need to use the bathroom once."