xix) Xenophilius Lovegood

Draco Malfoy

I don't know how I agreed to go to Xenophilius Lovegood's house. After all, there is a chance the Death Eaters have Luna in custody. With what he had been printing, it was a wonder Luna was not arrested when I left.

Right now, I am posing as a Muggle-born wizard. I had to take polyjuice potion or else anyone would slam the door on my face. I don't believe anyone trusts me even after what Fiona said.

I have short crop blonde hair and my skin is still pale but not as much as before. I had to abandon my black suit and instead wear a Muggle set of clothing which Hermione chose for me. I had let her since she is Muggle-born and the only one with a slight sense of style.

I guess it's only fair that I pose as a Muggle-born after everything I have said about them. I sigh wondering what Fiona would say if she saw me right now.

Hermione and Potter are walking ahead, talking amongst themselves. I am behind them wondering about a few things which seem not relevant at the moment. Weasley is behind me. Hermione still hasn't said a word to him unless absolutely necessary.

"Ron, come on." Potter says turning back. I turn back to see he is gazing at some trees in the distance. That is where the Burrow is.

I understand what he is thinking right now. All those thoughts would have gone through my head too. But I don't want to linger around. "Weasley, let's go." I say too looking around uneasily. "We don't have protection here."

Weasley finally tears his eyes away from his home and starts to follow us again. When we reach Xenophilius Lovegood's house, Hermione knocks.

The door opens and Xenophilius peaks out. His face is dirty and his eyes are sunk. The door opens a little more and I see that he is wearing a stained nightshirt.

He looks at all of us in turn suspiciously. My eyebrows furrow a little. Something isn't right and it doesn't look like the others notice anything yet.

He lets us inside and takes us up the stairs. Everything downstairs, that is, the kitchen still is perfect. But upstairs, the sitting room looks unkempt. Maybe it always looks like this but something still doesn't look right to me.

"Where is Luna?" I ask wanting to be certain she wasn't captured.

"She's down by the river, catching fish." Xenophilius answers without missing a beat. "Are you a friend of her's?"

"Yes, my name is Daniel and I am in Ravenclaw with her." I answer promptly.

Xenophilius nods and turns his attention to Potter again. "Can I help you with something?" He asks.

Potter responds but I am too busy with figuring out if everything is alright to properly pay attention. From the way he is acting, it seems like something is wrong. But when I asked the question about Luna, he didn't hesitate to reply. Maybe I am being paranoid but I want to be certain that everything is alright.

I start paying attention when Hermione takes out her book. I missed most of the conversation and don't know why she is doing it. She opens a specific chapter and starts reading.

"There were once four brothers who were traveling along a lonely, winding road at twilight-"

"Midnight, our mum always told us." Weasley says. He earns an annoyed glare from Hermione and annoyed looks from Potter and me.