vi) The First Day

Entering the Great Hall, I feel all the glares sent my way. Ignoring them all, I make my way to the Slytherin table and sit down at my place. If those who pass by are Slytherins, then they congratulate me which I accept with a wide smile on my face.

On the other hand, I can tell exactly how much this is affecting Draco. He isn't taking any of it well and it is all I can do to keep him calm. He isn't smiling or acknowledging anyone except me. If anyone even tries to start a conversation, he just turns his face away and acts like the person isn't here.

I feel someone staring at me and I look around the Hall to see it's Ginny. She observes me carefully then moves her eyes to Draco. Finally her eyes lock with mine. She gives me a barely perceptible nod before looking down at her plate again. I sigh and turn back to my food.

"They are keeping close watch." Draco warns me looking at the staff table. I look to see the Carrows are watching everyone, including the rest of the staff, like hawks.

Something seems wrong and I look up and down the table to see that Snape isn't there. "Where is Snape?" I whisper.

Draco shrugs. "I don't think he wants to see how everyone is going to be treated."

I sigh. If last night was any indication, then I know that today won't be a good one. It might just become the worst first-day-back ever.

Somehow I am able to eat and keep my food down. I thought it would be impossible seeing how everything is, but it turns out to be surprisingly easy. After breakfast, McGonagall steps forward and raises her hand to silence the few that were talking.

"Alecto Carrow, our new teacher, will like to make an announcement." She steps back and Alecto Carrow takes her place.

This is the first time I am seeing Alecto Carrow in clear light like this. Alecto looks a lot like her brother, Amyscus and has slopping shoulders and stubby fingers just like him.

"Now everyone listen careful." Her words are sweet and I watch as a lot of students flinch. I have always been slightly stubborn and always has challenged everything she or her brother has said. "From today we are implementing new rules. My brother and I are the deputy Headmasters of Hogwarts. Our words will be taken as seriously as Professor Snape's."

I sigh. 'This is bad.' I tell Draco. 'I know.' He replies.

"It will take practice but I hope that everyone will be able to walk, talk and sit properly by the end of today. Do you know how to? I see a lot of you don't."

I quickly straighten my back and notice a lot of students doing the same though most of the Gryffindors don't. Amyscus smiles widely as he steps forward.

"You." He points to Neville. "Come here." Neville gets up and walks over to Amyscus, his head held high.

Draco reaches over and takes my hand right before Amyscus raises his wand at Neville. "Crucio!" Neville falls to the ground and writhes in pain but doesn't let a sound escape his lips.

I notice Ginny getting up and quickly push her back down in her seat. I don't want to deal with more than one on my first day. All students and teachers watch with horrified gazes as Amyscus tortures Neville and his sister watches with a big smile on her face. Even the Slytherins are horrified. Some eyes find Draco and me but both of our faces are emotionless.