vi) Worst Fears and News

Thursday when we are halfway through double potions Draco decides to start attending classes again. He had promised to start classes from Thursday so for me it was only a matter of time when he would appear.

Snape had put me, Pansy and Blaise at a table with Harry, Ron and Hermione. A lot of heated glances had been exchanged but we had not talked to them.

Draco came and put up his cauldron on our table while throwing a smirk my way. I roll my eyes knowing he is going to start causing trouble. Some students had started to whisper amongst themselves when he entered. Snape turned to them. "Settle down, settle down." He said idly.

We are making a Shrinking Potion. Hermione and I are ahead of everyone else. Back in Drumstrang I always came first in class. Here my main competition is Hermione. Draco is quite good too but not good enough go against me.

Draco turns towards Snape. "Sir, I will need help cutting these daisy roots because of my arm." He says. I try not to laugh while Harry and Ron scowl at Draco. "Oh it's just a bloody scratch." Hermione mutters under her breath.

"Weasley, cut Malfoy's roots for him." Snape orders carelessly.

I exchange a look with Draco trying not to laugh as Ron's face reddens while Blaise and Pansy are audibly snickering. Luckily for them Snape favours Slytherins so they won't get in trouble for this.

"Weasley, you heard Professor Snape, cut the roots." I smirk at him. Ron looks at me angrily but does as he is told.

"Seen your pal Hagrid recently?" Draco asks the trio quietly. I see Ron cutting the roots roughly but decide not to comment until later.

"None of your business." Harry sneers.

"I am afraid he won't be teaching very longer. Father's not too happy with the my injury."

As Draco keeps going on and on about his injury I tune him and the others out and keep working on the potion. I notice Ron slide the roots back to him.

Snape is nearby so I raise my voice a little. "Weasley, the roots are supposed to be perfectly cut!" I exclaim.

Draco notices Snape coming over and smirks at me. Snape observes the roots and carelessly tells Ron, "Give him your roots and use those yourself."

After Snape moves away Blaise leans in. "That was savage." He whispers to me. I smirk at him. "That's why I do it." I say.

I know that they are still bickering but I don't pay them any attention as I focus on my potion. What gets my attention is Seamus leaning over to Harry.

"Hey, Harry-" He begins. "Have you heard? Daily Prophet this morning, they reckon Sirius Black has been sighted."

I look up and see that Draco is listening too. The three of them are to busy listening to Seamus to notice us.

"What? Where?" Harry asks raising his eyebrows.

"Not to far from here." Seamus replies. "It was a Muggle who saw him. 'Course she really didn't understand. The muggles think he's just an ordinary criminal, don't they? So they phoned the telephone hotline. By the time the Ministry of Magic got there he was gone."

"Not to far from here." Ron repeats, significantly looking at Harry. He turned and noticed us watching. "What Malfoy? Need something else skinned?" He snarls.

But Draco and I both ignore him. "Thinking of catching Black single-handedly, Potter?" He asks Harry leaning across the table.

"Yeah you got it." Harry says sarcastically.

Draco goes to say something but I cut him off. "Draco." I say firmly. He looks at me surprised and I shake my head to tell him not to continue.

Everyone else stares at me surprised too. "Haven't you got something better to do?" I snarl at them. They all go back to potion making and I lean towards Draco.

"It's got to do with what I told you about." I say under my breath. Then nod gently towards Harry who is trying very hard to listen to us. "Later." I mumble.

He looks at Harry and nods. "Okay." He whispers. The rest of the class goes by uneventfully and soon we are heading to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

As we are walking there I whisper to Draco, "After dinner we will go outside and discuss this."

Draco gives me a quizzical look. "How will we get outside?" He asks.

"I will tell you then." I say as we enter the classroom to see that there are no tables and chairs. Everyone breaks off into little groups. Of course Pansy and Blaise are with me and Draco.

Remus isn't here yet so we talk amongst ourselves. "Why did you stop Draco?" Pansy asks me.

I look at Pansy considering her before answering. "Pansy, there are some things that you shouldn't ask and this is one of them."

Pansy's mouth hangs open and Draco smirks. Blaise also looks stunned by my answer. Usually when they ask something I answer and never give them the cold shoulder. We are saved from talking anymore by Remus entering.

He walks to the front of the class and I notice the wardrobe kept there starts moving and rattling loudly. Some of the students in the front move back a little.

"Now then nothing to be worried about." Remus says calmly. "There's a boggart in there."

My eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "A boggart? Are you mad?" A few students called out.

Remus only grinned. "Perhaps." He says and I smile widely. Draco looks at me clearly amused by him. "First things first. What is a boggart?"

My hand shoots up first, quickly followed by Hermione. She gives me an annoyed look. She's ready to be friends with anyone but no one can top her in class.

"Let's see." Remus says. "Ms. Potter?"

"It's a shapeshifter. It takes the form of the person's worst fear." I state. Remus nods proudly.

"Couldn't have put it better myself." He says. "Ten points to Slytherin." He awards me. I had already earned fifty points at potions. Remus then goes on to inform the class about boggarts. But I already know this. Remus was my personal DADA teacher for atleast seven years.

"Have you spotted it, Harry?" He asks him. I notice that he called me Ms. Potter while when it came to Harry, he called him Harry. I ignore it and focus back on the class.

"Er- because there is so many of us it won't know who to turn to?" Harry tries.

"Precisely." Remus says. "Ten points to Gryffindor." Harry did lose them quite some points in Potions. Remus then goes on to explain about an adventure where a boggart had tried to fear two people at once and had turned into a half slug.

I lean over to Draco. "I was with him when it happened." I say. "I remember him and another man step up to the boggart while telling me to stay behind them. I had a hard time stopping myself from laughing."

Draco and I laugh along with the class as Remus finishes the story and some of the Slytherins stare at us. We ignore them and focus on the lesson. He then goes on to tell the class about the charm to repel boggarts.

"We will practice the charm without wands first. After me, please, Riddikulus." Remus says.

"Riddikulus."

"This class is Riddickulus." Pansy remarks. Both Draco and I shoot her death glares. She shrinks in to herself. I focus back on the class. Remus calls Neville forward.

The terrified boy walks and stands beside Remus, wordlessly. "Right, Neville." Remus begins. "First things first: What would you say is the thing that frightens you the most in the world?"

Neville's lips move but no noise comes out.

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry." Remus says cheerfully.

"P-Professor Snape." Neville stutters. A few students laugh at that including me and even Draco cracks a small smile despite trying not to.

Remus seems thoughtful of the answer. "Yes he frightens all." Remus says laughing slightly. "And I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yes." Neville answers. Then quickly adds, "But I don't want the boggart to turn into her either." Some of the student laugh again.

"No. It won't." Remus reassures Neville. "But I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes very clearly in your mind."

He then start to walk towards Neville as he starts describing the clothes. "We don't need to hear." Remus says stopping Neville. "As long as you see it we will see it." Remus is now beside Neville. He leans down and whispers something to him. Neville looks at Remus shocked. "Can you do that?" Remus asks loudly. Neville nods.

Remus straightens up. He stands just a step behind Neville making sure that the boggart focuses on him. "On the count of three, Neville." Remus says. I am excited to see how this goes and I can tell Draco is too. "One, two, three." Remus flicks his wand and the door opens.

Immediately Snape stepped out his eyes flashing at Neville. He backed away, his wand up, mouthing wordlessly.

"R-Riddikulus."

There is a sound like the crack of a whip and boggart Snape is dressed in a long, lace-trimmed dress, a hat with moth eaten vulture and a crimson hand bag. There is a roar of laughter and boggart Snape stops and looks around confused.

"Parvati! Forward!" Remus says as he starts to play music.

As she stepped forward everyone starts to make a line. "I don't think I want anyone to know my fear." Draco mumbles beside me.

I grab his hand and pull him to the back of the line. From there we watch as everyone takes turns. After some students Harry steps forward. But before the boggart can take any form Remus jumps in front of Harry.

The boggart turns into something white. It takes me a second to realise it is the full moon. "Riddikulus." The moon turns into an inflated balloon as it soars through the room and Remus sends it back inside the wardrobe.

"That will be all for today. Class dismissed." Everyone starts to leave but I am not sure if I want to yet.

"I kind of want to know my biggest fear." Draco says as we take our bags.

"We can." I say. "Just wait until everyone leaves."

He smiles. I think he understands what I am going to do. "You don't have to." He says.

"I want to." I say. He nods and doesn't object anymore. We have to tell Pansy and Blaise to go ahead a number of times before they leave.

After everyone is gone we walk over to Remus. "Want to know your worst fear?" He asks before either of us can say anything.

Draco is surprised but I am not. He always has a way of knowing what someone wants. "Yes." I answer. He nods.  

"Who will go first?" He asks.

"I will." Draco says. Remus nods as Draco takes his position in front of the wardrobe. He looks nervous and I give him a small smile. He nods at me before focussing back on the wardrobe.

Remus opens it and Lucius Malfoy steps out. Now I understand why he is nervous. His eyes widen in fear for a moment before he mutters, "Riddikulus."

The face changes into a house elf's while the body stays the same making him look completely ridiculous. I laugh along with him. I notice Remus staring at the boggart seriously. He then turns to me. "Want to go as well?" He asks.

I shrug and swap places with Draco. The boggart turns into a dementor. After my experience with it, it is no surprise it does. I don't waste a moment and think of my happiest memory. "Expecto Patronum!" I yell. This time the dragon comes out and pushes the boggart dementor inside the wardrobe. Remus quickly closes the door.

"That was impressive both of you." He says. He then turns towards Draco. "Do you mind answering a question?" He asks.

"Depends on the question." He answers. I smile at his answer. It is quite close to what I would have said.

Remus smiles looking at me once. "I see why you two are friends." He says. "Why are you afraid of your father?" He then asks Draco.

I notice Draco become uncomfortable. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to." I tell him. But he shakes his head. "No it's okay. I have never said it out loud before."

I know he's only trusting Remus because he trust me. But it is surprising to see Draco Malfoy answer that question. He turns back to Remus.

"Because of what he will do if I can't do whatever he tells me to do." Draco says. I take Draco's hand and squeeze it slightly. He squeezes back.

Remus nods slowly obviously thinking something. "He does that." He says. "Now go on."

"Okay." I say. I start to walk towards the door and I realise that Draco's not with me. I turn my head to see Remus is telling him something under his breath. Before I can move closer Draco starts walking to me seeming a lot more cheerful than before. We start to walk to the Great Hall.

I raise an eyebrow. "What were you two talking about?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Nothing much." He answers. I look at him in a way which makes it clear that I don't believe him. He sighs. "You don't know how to drop it?" I smirk. "Do you?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"He is a cool teacher." He says after a minute. We had reached the Great Hall and were taking our seats. Blaise and Pansy hear what he says and look at him clearly amazed.

"From when does Draco Malfoy call a teacher, other than Snape, cool?" Blaise asks.

"He doesn't even call Snape cool." Pansy corrects Blaise. "What has gotten into you?" She asks this to Draco.

Draco simply smirks at Pansy and Blaise. "Why do you care?" He snaps at them. Then he changes the subject though chooses the wrong one. "What was Lupin's boggart?" He asks.

I groan under my breath. Of all the questions he could have asked this is the one he chooses. I can't tell him. I don't trust him enough for this. I have to lie to him now.

I shake my head as if I have no idea. "Seemed to be something white." I say. "And something that floats."

"You have known him for a long time and you don't know?" Blaise asks in disbelief. Pansy scoffs. "I don't believe it."

I expected Draco to agree with them but instead he says, "If she says she doesn't know, then she doesn't know." I look at him surprised. His expression says he doesn't believe me but he chooses not to push it. I guess he will ask me later.

"Is it okay with you two if we head back?" Blaise asks us.

I nod. "Go right ahead." I say. I am happy that they gave a reason to leave us instead of the other way around.

After they leave Draco turns to me. "Are you going to tell me what that boggart was?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Listen this is not my secret." I say. "If you have to ask anyone ask Remus." He sighs but nods.

"You're right." He says. "Atleast tell me how we are going outside."

I smirk at him before looking around. Nobody is nearby so I put my hand inside my bag and pull out a cloak. I give it to Draco saying, "With this." He looks at it confused.

"What is this?" He asks. I smirk and shake my head. "You have to tell me. You are supposed to be smart."

He sighs. "I wonder who tells you all this." He mutters. He then examines the cloak carefully. He can't understand until he puts his hand under the cloak and it disappears.

He looks at me amazed. "An invisibility cloak?" He asks his voice laced with surprise.

I nod in an impressed manner. "Very good." I say. "This will get us outside. Now all we have to do is figure out a place to talk."

Draco thinks for a moment. "The tree beside the Black Lake." He says a little wistfully. I wait for him to explain. "It is very nice but usually your brother and his friends occupy it."

I nod understanding. "Then we will enjoy that place when no one can disturb us." I say smiling at him. He smiles too. "No one to distrub us. Enough distance from the castle. Imagine what can happen." He says.

"A lot of things." I say rolling my eyes. "Now complete eating quickly." I finish first and he is done soon after.

We walk out and Draco points towards an empty corridor. "We can disappear in there." He suggests. "Good idea." I say and we go there.

After putting the cloak on and making sure that we are both fully covered we sneak outside and make our way to the Black Lake. There I remove the cloak and stuff it back in my bag.

Inside we had been quite close together, closer than I would have preferred. I look over at Draco to see his face is completely red. I try not to laugh as I sit down on the grass, back against the tree. He soon sits down beside me.

"Go ahead ask." I say. I have already decided to let him ask the questions. I will answer the ones absolutely necessary.

His first question is quite predictable. "Where did you get the cloak?"

I chuckle to myself. "It was my father's." I reply. "He had two like this. Dumbledore gave this to me while Harry has the other one."

Draco nods. "Explains how he disappears when necessary." He says. I laugh. "He does?" I can't help but ask. "Yes. And not once but quite a few times."

"As interesting as that is, move on to the next question." I say.   

"Why did you stop me?" He asks.

I sigh. "That will be a long story involving quite a number of people and needs a long time."

He shrugs. "I have time." He says. Then as if to prove his point, he settles against the tree comfortably.

"As you wish." I say. I also sit more comfortably before beginning. "My father, Sirius Black, Remus and another boy Peter Pettigrew were best friends. Father and Black were the best of best friends. Remus came next while Pettigrew was always living in their shadow. Father was always in love with my mother but her love belonged to someone else. Severus Snape."

As I say this Draco sits up and looks at me completely surprised. "They were in love?" He asks.

"Not were. My mother always loved him but he made a fatal mistake but Snape still loves her. He will do anything to be reunited with her." Draco falls back against the tree completely baffled by my answer. "Still want me to continue?" I ask. He nods. I shrug and continue.

"After my parents married, Voldemort came into power. When a prophecy was made that a child born at the end of July can end him, he went after me and my brother. But someone betrayed Voldemort. Someone warned them about his plans. So they went into hiding. They used the Fidelus charm."

I stop to catch my breath. "But if he found your parents even after using the Fidelus charm that means the secret keeper betrayed them." Draco says.

I nod. "Exactly. But there is a problem there. Sirius Black is believed to have been the secret keeper."

"But if he was your father's best friend then why did he betray him?" Draco asks.

"I said believed, remember?" I ask. His eyes widen in realisation. "He wasn't the secret keeper." He says.

I shake my head. "Nobody knows that. Even Remus believes it was Black. Only I can't seem to understand why he would betray his best friend and the woman who looked at him as if he isn't an outcast. Even when Black's brother was found out to be a Death Eater, my mother and father never once doubted him."

"Can we be sure that he is innocent?" Draco asks.

I nod. "Yes." I immediately reply. "I don't care what others think. Remus has doubts like me but he also seems to accept that Black did betray my parents."

Draco nods. "And to learn the truth you need to find Black." He says slowly like understanding what his own words mean. "And you can't do that if Potter is trying to kill him. You stopped me from egging him on for that reason."

I nod my eyes on the water. "He doesn't know what Black did. But from what I have hard he doesn't need much motivation to do something." Draco laughs slightly at my words. "That is kind of true." I smile too.

"I wasn't finished yet." I say. He rolls his eyes. "What else can there be possibly?" He asks.

"Some say that it is the worst thing possible." I begin. I turn my face to meet his grey eyes. "He is Harry and my godfather."

Draco's mouth falls open. "What?" He says.

I nod. "Take sometime to digest everything I just told you. Then we can head back to the castle." He closes his eyes and rests his head against the tree. "And here I thought I have a complicated family history." He mutters under his breath.

"Who says yours isn't?" I ask.

He laughs. "Not as complicated as this. I am certain."

"We can discuss that later. For now we need to head back." I say. He sighs but gets up. Then extends his hand for me to take. Smiling I take it and he pulls me up. As I go to put the cloak on our shoulders a voice stops me. We both whirl around.

"Don't you want to know the truth?" The voice asks. The voice belongs to Sirius Black.