xvii) The Locket

Draco Malfoy

When I wake up, I notice that Potter is still unconscious. I rub my eyes and get up. I don't know how long I have been asleep but I definitely feel rested. And on top of that I had no nightmares.

Outside, I find Granger sitting under a tree, reading a book. She looks up when I walk over. "Got any sleep?" She asks as I sit down opposite her.

I nod. "How long did I sleep?"

"Almost a whole day." She answers. "I thought about waking you but this is the first time you have slept so well since you joined us."

I nod thankful that she didn't wake me up. "Thank you." I say testing out how it sounds when I am not saying it to Fiona or Mother.

Granger looks slightly taken aback. "You are welcome." She replies.

I nod and hand her the locket which ahe puts around her neck. I have worn it longer than I was supposed to. I finally look around properly. "Where are we?" I ask.

"Forest of Dean." She replies. "My parents brought me here when I was young."

"You travelled a lot?" I ask. There is a hint of longing in my voice which Granger seems to pick up on.

"Yes. Didn't you?" She asks.

I scoff. "You wouldn't ask that if you knew my father." I reply darkly. "He would... Forget it. He just isn't the best father in the world. He is possible the worst father. So I didn't expect much from him after a while."

She is quiet for a second. I honestly don't know why I am saying all this to her. I have talked about this only once before and that was to Fiona. She was in a similar situation like me and she understood me, something no one not even Mother was able to do.

"That is horrible." Granger finally says. I nod agreeing with her. "I am sorry I judged you before understanding you."

"I was a git." I admit. "The only reason I was like that to you was because you are muggle-born. That isn't right."

"We were young and didn't understand much."

"I don't think we ever introduced ourselves properly." I say.

"We didn't." Granger confirms. She holds out her hand. "I am Hermione Granger."

I smile slightly before shaking her hand. "And I am Draco Malfoy. Call me Draco."

"And you call me Hermione." She adds.

"Hermione." I say saying her name for the first time.

"You should see this book." Hermione says after a few moments of silence. I realise it's the book she has been reading and the book she took from Bathilda Bagshot's house.

I take it from her and see the title. "The Life and Lies of Dumbledore." I read from the cover of the book. "It's the book Rita Skeeter wrote."

"I was reading the part of Dumbledore and Grindelwald." Hermione says making me look up at her. "Do you know all of that?"

I nod. "It is something my father made me learn because everything there is against Dumbledore." I sigh.