xiv) The Kiss

Draco and I are in Remus' office. "Today we will be practicing without dementors of any kind." Remus tells us.

"Alright." I say. Remus gestures for us to go on and we both raise our wands. "Expecto Patronum." We both say at the same time. My dragon and his occamy dance around the room together.

Remus looks at them for a minute before turning to us. "Tell me the exact memory you were thinking of." He tells us.

Draco and I exchange a look unsure which one of us should go first. I gesture for Draco too and Remus notices this. "Mr. Malfoy, why don't you go first?" He asks.

Draco sends a glare towards me and I smirk at him. "The morning after the last time we were here." He answers sheepishly. His cheeks are tinted a slight pink.

Remus rolls his eyes and turns to me. "You?" He asks. My cheeks become a little more pink than Draco's. "Same." I answer. 

Draco blushes on  hearing my answer. Remus looks between the two of us. He opens his mouth to say something but I cut him off. "Don't." I say firmly.

Remus closes his mouth. "Was it your-" Both Draco and I cut him off.

"I said no." I say.

"Merlin no-" Draco says. "-don't ask."   

Remus laughs. "I will leave it to my imagination then." He says.

I groan and Draco buries his face in his hands. "Can we move on?" I ask.

"Why don't you both sit down?" He asks, seating down on his chair and gesturing to the chairs on the opposite side of his desk.

We sit down and Remus brings out three glasses and a bottle. "Do you like this?" He asks us.

I take a closer look. Butterbear. What else would it be? "Who doesn't?" I ask.

Remus nods and pours it to us. "There are somethings you need to know." He begins. "There is a question you asked me once." He is  looking at me. "About what happens to someone's patronus if they falls in love with you."

I quickly drink my Butterbear to hide how red my face is. Draco looks at me amused. "The answer is very interesting."

My curiosity clears my face. "Why?" I ask.

"The person will have all of your patronuses plus their own and you will have their one plus your ones." He answers.

I raise my eyebrows. "So anyone who falls in love with me will have a total of five patronuses and so will I." I say. Remus nods. I.

"What else?" Draco asks clearly wanting to change the subject as much as me.

"It won't be a good one." He warns. I shrug. "When is it anything else?" I ask.

Remus laughs ruefully. "That is true." He says. "But this one involves Sirius."

Draco and I sit up straighter. "What about him?" Draco asks.

"Do you know what a dementor's Kiss is?" Remus asks looking at Draco. He himself has explained to me what it means.

Draco shakes his head. "No I don't."

Remus nods thoughtfully. "It is the only time that the dementors lower their hoods. They suck the victims' soul from their body."

Draco looks horrified at the idea. "Dying would be better than that." He says. I nod. "It would be." I agree.

Suddenly it all clicks in my mind and I look at Remus horrified. "Remus, the ministry can't have-" I say slightly panicked.

Remus bites his lower lip and nods. "They have." He answers.

"But then Sirius-" Draco also stops here. He is trying not to show it but he is panicking slightly too.

"As long as he is not caught he is safe." Remus says, though I am certain it is more to reassure himself than us.

"How can they order it for someone?" Draco asks softly. I look at him. I asked the very same question when Remus had explained what a Dementor's Kiss is.

"You don't believe someone is deserving of that fate?" Remus asks. He is still looking at Draco but I know that the question is for both of us.

"Most don't." I answer.

"I can't think of anyone who deserves that fate!" Draco exclaims while looking surprised by my answer.

Remus nods. "I see you haven't changed your outlook." He says looking at me.

I shrug. "We both know I am right." I answer. Remus looks at me thoughtfully. "You haven't changed your opinion then."

I shake my head. "I don't plan on." I say. Draco has been trying hard not to ask but now he does. "Who do you think deserves it?" He asks.

I look at Draco for a second before looking at Remus an eyebrow raised. He nods and I turn back to Draco. "Voldemort." I answer.

Draco tries not to flinch and succeeds for the most part. He still flinches slightly. "You are afraid of the name too?" Remus asks, a little surprised.

Draco looks surprised at the question. "Why won't I be?" He asks. "Almost everyone is. The only exception is her." He indicates me.

I laugh slightly. "Don't worry I am not the only one." I say. Draco shrugs. "In our year." He adds. I shake my head. "Harry says the name as well." I say.

Remus stops us. "Malfoy-" He begins but Draco cuts him off. "My name is Draco." He says. Remus raises an eyebrow then nods. "Okay, Draco. Unless you are standing in front of Voldemort you can say his name and not be afraid." He says.

"I can try." Draco says. Remus nods. "Good enough." He says. Then he turns to me. "I am going to ask you to do something but you won't like it."

I roll my eyes. "Then don't ask me to do it." I suggest. "You will want to do it." He informs me. I raise my eyebrows. "Why?" I ask. "Because it involves Sirius."

I groan slightly. He has got a point. If it involves Sirius I will do it. "What do I need to do?" I ask.

"Figure out what Harry knows about Sirius." Remus says. I stare at him. "Why?" I ask finally. "Because he believes that Sirius deserves that fate." He answers.

"He knows the official story then." Draco says as if stating the obvious.      

"I want to know exactly what he knows." Remus says. "Can you do it?"

I think about it. "Harry might tell me if I talk to him which admittedly I don't want to." I say. "But I have to do it when no one else is with him especially Ron."

Draco scoffs. "If he is anywhere nearby he will make sure you two don't talk." He says. "Although there is another way."

An idea had come to my mind also and if he is suggesting the same one- no he can't. That is impossible.

"Granger likes to talk with you." Draco says looking at me. I raise my eyebrows. I can't believe he just suggested something like this.

"Are you really suggesting that I talk to a muggle-born?" I ask, a look of disbelief on my face.

Draco slightly rolls his eyes. "Do you want to help Sirius or not?" He asks sarcastically. I sigh. "Didn't expect that suggestion from you." I reply, the same tone as him. "You are making me regret trying to help you." Draco fires back at me, glaring as well. "Then don't make suggestions which you will regret." I answer. Both of our voices have a sarcastic undertone. Draco groans. The tension between us has reached a peak.

"Are you two finished?" Remus asks breaking us up. We both startle slightly. We had forgotten about Remus. "Yes." I reply. Remus is smirking a little. "You two might have given James and Sirius, in some cases and in other, James and Lily a run for their money."

I had taken a sip from my Butterbear at that moment and chocked on it. Draco is staring at Remus, his face red. I get my coughing under control and glare at Remus. My chocking on Butterbear is a good reason of why my face is red though I know very well that is not the reason.

"What does that mean?" I ask angrily. An amused look is on Remus' face. "Both of your reactions are enough of an answer for me." He replies.

I am fuming now and I know Draco is too. "Can you not?" He asks. His voice is controlled but his face betrays his anger.

"I hope there is a better reason for that anger than me stating the obvious." Remus says, the look of amusement never leaving his face.

I roll my eyes. He knows the answer is an obvious yes. Even Draco seems to relax slightly, the anger gone from his face though not completely.

"Why do you keep doing this?" I ask, no trace of anger anywhere. Remus smirks. "Because I remember what it was like when Sirius and I did this for your parents." Remus answers.

I groan and bury my face in my hands. "Merlin!" Draco mutters. "Then do this to someone who needs to be together." He says in his normal voice.

"Why not you?" Remus asks. I lift my head slightly and exchange a look with Draco. 'Fiona, if you want to, you can tell him.' He says in his head. I nod and raise my head completely facing Remus.     

"Do you know why we both chose the same memory to cast our patronuses?" I ask Remus.

He shakes his head. "But I think it is the reason I can't do 'this', as you call it, with you two." He adds.

Draco nods. "That is true." He says. "Because that is the moment we-" Draco trails off clearly uncomfortable to say it to someone else especially like this.

"We like each other." I finish for Draco. My face is slightly pink but I quickly shake it off. But I can't say the same for Draco.

His face is completely red and he tries to hide it by taking a sip from his Butterbear. I shoot him an amused look. He slightly rubs his face as if that would help. I try not to laugh.

Luckily for him Remus' eyes have been fixed on me. "When were you going to tell me?" He asks, all amusement gone replaced by seriousness.

Draco's face immediately goes back to normal. "I don't have to tell you everything." I say.

Remus is looking at me then his gaze falls upon Draco. He slightly tenses up. I put my hand on his leg. Remus doesn't say something only observes him.

"Are you going to say something?" I ask when the tension has grown quite a lot.

Remus' eyes come back to me. "What does he know?" He asks me.

I sigh quietly. "About what?" I ask. "You know what." Remus replies. 'About me.' He says in his mind. I shake my head to let him know that he doesn't know anything before asking, "That doesn't clear anything up."

But before Remus can answer Draco speaks up surprising us both. "Can I say something?" He asks.

I look at him surprised while Remus asks, "From when do either of you ask permission?" I roll my eyes slightly. "When we are being serious." I answer.

"Go ahead, Draco." Remus says. I relax slightly on hearing Remus call Draco by his name. Draco tenses again. I read his mind wanting to be prepared about the talk. My eyes widen immediately.

"I have a guess and I don't know how to say it out loud." He admits. "I am nervous because I am not sure if it is right."

"You are." I say sighing. I close my eyes before facing Remus. "He guessed." I tell him simply.

Remus leans back in his chair. "You are smart." He states. "What gave it away?"

Draco relaxes. He must have been nervous about the reaction Remus would have given him. I look at him waiting for his answer.

"You always missing classes around full moons. Snape asks about werewolves and Fiona doesn't answering. His insisting on teaching us about werewolves." Draco answers. "Then when I asked if you are an animagus then Fiona tensed. Everything points to that conclusion."

I smile a little. "I was hoping no one will understand what he was trying to teach really." I admit. "But as long as it's only you it's okay."

Remus nods. "Yes it is." He agrees with me. "Its really is a shame we are not in class or I would have given some points."

"Give the points either way." I say smirking. Remus shakes his head. "No." He replies firmly. "Are you sure no one else has figured it out?" He asks.

Draco and I exchange a look. "As much as I hate to say it there is someone else." Draco admits. "Hermione Granger." I say. "She is smart and might have figured it out."

"Since you are talking with her figure it out as well." Remus instructs me. But I shake my head. "I can only learn so much from her in one conversation." I say. Remus nods. "Then figure out what Harry knows about Sirius." He instructs.

"Alright." I say. I look at my watch and see the time. "We should go now." I say. Remus looks as well. "Very well. I don't want to keep you from dinner."