xvi) Horcruxes

Last night was fun but we know what we have to do today. The smile is gone from both of our faces again as we get ready in silence. We are one of the early ones down for breakfast, so we don't have to worry about Pansy and Blaise.

"Are you going to attend any classes?" Draco asks quietly speaking for the first time today.

I shake my head. "We need to be prepared."

Neither of us say a word after that. We quickly finish eating in silence and then get up. Once we are out in the Hall, Slughorn walks over.

"Ms. Potter, can I have a word?" He asks clearly agitated.

I furrow my brows. "Okay?" It comes out as a question as I glance at Draco. His eyebrows are furrowed too but he nods at me before walking away.

"Please come with me." He says before starting to speed-walk towards his office. I look once at Draco's back before turning around and following Slughorn.

As soon as we are in his office, he locks the door and casts the silencing charm. "Is everything okay, Professor?" I ask. "You are scaring me."

"I have done something, Fiona." He says sitting down in his chair. I sit down opposite him trying to understand what he is talking about.

"What have you done?" I ask when he doesn't say anything else.

"I did it a long time ago." He says looking at me. "Almost fifty years ago." I furrow my brows. How can any of this be relevant today?

"I am not following, Professor." I say softly so as not to scare him.

"I have been a fool to not tell anyone of this and thereby bringing peril to everyone." Slughorn says confusing me even more. "I don't know who else to tell. Amongst those here, you are the closest to him. Only you can help anymore."

"Professor, I still don't understand. What have you done? How can I help? Who am I closest to?"

"I told a student about horcruxes, Fiona." Realisation dawns on me as I understand what he is talking about. He is talking about when Voldemort was a student.

"But how can I help?" I ask.

"You are close to Him. You have His trust. If you are careful, He will tell you what His horcruxes are and where they are." Slughorn explains. "I know it is your destiny to kill Him. I want to help."

"Then why not tell Harry any of this?" I ask.

"Because he will tell Dumbledore and I don't trust him." Slughorn answers. That is something we have in common. "You are the only one I trust anymore. You are truly good."

"How did you know that I am close to Him?" I ask.

"Dumbledore." Slughorn replies simply. Another reason for me to hate him. "He told me you are a spy but you are giving more information than you should. He wants you removed but those who are in contact with you, won't listen."

I scoff. "That's another reason I hate him." I say quietly. "I can see why you don't trust him."

"You won't tell him?" Slughorn asks.