i) 'I will always be by your side'

Malfoy Manor is silent except for the breathing of four people. We stand in the Hall processing what Voldemort has just informed us. Finally Narcissa approaches Draco.

"Draco, sweetheart-" She begins as she places a hand on Draco's arm but he jerks away.

"You should be proud, Draco." Bellatrix says as she throws a glare my way.

Bellatrix and I can't stand each other. Bellatrix doesn't trust me after what happened at the Ministry and I hate her for murdering Sirius. But I have Voldemort's support which very few Death Eaters do. Voldemort was happy when I was able to give Him the prophecy which His best Death Eaters had failed to obtain.

Draco is breathing heavily as he stares at the floor. "I will be in my room." He finally mumbles before hurrying upstairs. I watch him go.

Narcissa looks at me pleadingly. I remember everything she had told me about her relation to Draco and how she has failed in raising Draco. I know what she wants me to do.

I try to decide what I should do. I have made everyone believe that I have become a cold person because of Sirius' death. Draco knows I am not like this but I have gotten so good at hiding my emotions that anyone who looks at me will think that.

Narcissa takes my hands. "Please, he will listen to you." She seems to be on the verge of tears.

I don't snatch my hands away. I look at her face. Before I can say something, Bellatrix says, "He needs to learn to be proud of the honour our Lord has bestowed on him and you should teach him that."

This makes my blood boil. I hate Bellatrix but Voldemort has forbidden me from killing her. So I try to make sure that I am not in a room with her alone. But right now I would have happily killed her if I didn't love Narcissa. I look at her and gently remove my hands from her grasp.

"I will try." I tell her softly and hug her. I throw one last glare at Bellatrix and walk upstairs.

I knock and enter Draco's room. He doesn't even look around when I enter. He is staring out the window. I walk over and stand beside him, lacing our hands together.

It is hard enough for Draco. I don't say anything waiting for Draco to break the silence between us. Finally Draco pulls me closer and wraps his arms around me, putting his face in my hair.

I hug him too. He takes a few deep breaths as I keep rubbing his back. When he pulls away, I rest our foreheads together. I don't bother asking how he is. The answer is obvious.

"Does it hurt?" He asks softly. It seems as if he is trying to hold back tears. "When He gives it, does it hurt?"

I want to reassure Draco and say no but he will know it is a lie tomorrow. And I also don't want to lie to him.

"Yes." I say reluctantly. "It hurts."

Draco closes his eyes. I don't say anything as I keep holding him in my arms. Draco can't hold himself back anymore and the tears fall from his eyes.

There is nothing I can do. For the first time I can do nothing. Draco buries his face in my shoulder and I can hear his sobs.

I close my eyes and make sure that my tears don't fall too. I never wanted this for him but I can't change it, no one can.

I keep holding Draco as he cries. His cries break my heart but there is nothing I can say or do which will comfort him.