ix) Quidditch Match

We are waiting for Remus to show up for class. I know he won't, it is time for full moon. If he shows up I will be very surprised.

Soon the door opens and Snape marches in. For appearances sake I look as surprised as the others. I notice Harry is not here yet. I lean towards Draco.

"Harry's not here yet." I whisper. "Think about how much trouble he will be in." Drake smirks. "It will be fun. Wonder when he will come."

We don't have to wait very long. Harry soon enters saying, "Sorry I am late, Professor Lupin, I-" But he stops when he sees Snape.

"You are ten minutes late, Potter. That will be ten points from Gryffindor. Sit down." Snape tells Harry sternly.

But Harry doesn't move. He stands there stubbornly. "Where is Professor Lupin?" He asks.

"He is feeling too ill to teach today. I believe I told you to sit down." Snape answers eerily.

But Harry keeps standing. "What's wrong with him?" He asks.

"Nothing life threatening." Snape answers, seeming as though he wishes it was. "Five more points from Gryffindor. If I have to ask you to sit down one more time it will be fifty." After that Harry slowly walks to his seat.

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted Professor Lupin has not left any record of what you have covered so far-" Snape starts. But I stop paying attention as Draco leans towards me.

"Does he actually wish Lupin had something life threatening?" He asks in a whisper.

I nod. "Yes he does." I answer. Draco looks at me like I am mad. "They have a feud with each other from when they were students." I add seeing his look.

It is lucky we are in Slytherin or Snape would have put both of us in detention by now. Our conversation is put to a stop when we hear Dean Thomas speaking.

"He is the best Defense Against the Darks Arts teacher we ever had." He says. There is a murmur of agreement from the rest of the class. Even Draco agrees. Snape looks more menacing than ever.

"You're easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you. I would expect first-years to be able to deal with red caps and grindylows. Today we shall discuss-" He flips the book to the very last chapter which we surely have not covered.

"Werewolves."

I now understand where he is going with this. Of course he will try to find a way to get Lupin's secret out in the open. Snape stares at me for a second which I know means that he knows how much I have knowledge of.

"But, sir-" Hermione starts, seemingly unable to restrain herself. "We are not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start hinkypunks-"

"Miss Granger-" Snape says in a voice of deadly calm. "I was under the impression that I am teaching this lesson not you. And I am telling you all to turn to page 394 now." He glances around the room. "All of you! Now!"

With a lot of bitter mutterings and side looks everyone opens the page. "Which of you can tell me how we distinguish a werewolf from a true wolf?" Snape asks.

I, of course, know the answer but I don't raise my hand. Everyone sits still, that is everyone except Hermione. Her hand is in the air. Draco gives me a weird look. He knows I have memorized the book from cover to cover.