ii) Letters

I am in Diagon Alley with Lucius. I don't know why Voldemort wants to meet me here but there is nothing I can say. We walk through the streets and enter Knockturn Alley.

"In here?" I ask surprised as we stop outside of Borgin and Burkes.

"Since he is waiting in there, I will say yes." Lucius replies. I roll my eyes and wait for him to lead the way in. "Any other questions?" He asks.

I shake my head. Now that I am just waiting to meet Voldemort, I don't trust my voice anymore. Lucius opens the door and we walk inside. He keeps leading the way till we reach the room where Voldemort is.

Lucius stops just outside and gestures for me to go in first. I take a deep breath to steady my nerves and enter the room. Inside a group of Death Eaters are sitting around a table with Voldemort at it's head.

As we enter, the conversation stops and all eyes turn to us. Voldemort looks around at us lazily. A grin appears on His face when His eyes finally land on me. The grin would have been a comforting one if He didn't look like that: snake eyes and no nose.

"Welcome." Voldemort says, His voice calm but cold. "Please sit, Lucius." He orders.

I look and see two empty chairs, one closer to Voldemort than the other. Lucius gives me a curious look as he takes the seat farther away. Voldemort stands up and walks over to me. But when he speaks, he is talking to the whole room.

"We are gathered today to witness the initiation of a new Death Eater." He announces. I feel my throat going dry. He means to brand me as a Death Eater.

He continues completely unfazed by the whispers going around the room. "Today we will witness it for the first time in fourteen years." He sounds cheerful but I feel far from it.

He finally turns to me. "Hold out your hand, Fiona." He orders.

Swallowing thickly, I hold out my left hand. Voldemort takes it and rubs his cold fingers on my forearm. He then presses the tip of his wand on my forearm.

I am not aware of what else he does, only of pain and my conviction of not screaming.

I almost scream when Voldemort finally pulls his wand away. Fearfully I look down. My arm is red and on it is the Dark Mark. The Mark of Voldemort.

——–·——–

When we get back, Narcissa is waiting for us. Lucius doesn't say anything and goes to his office. Narcissa takes my hand and leads me to my room.

"Where did you go?" She asks me.

I am not supposed to say anything to anyone. Voldemort made it perfectly clear.

"Diagon Alley." I reply truthfully. Narcissa looks at me unconvinced but I don't say anything else.

"Lucius mentioned a meeting with the Dark Lord." Narcissa says finally. I tense on instinct. "Why would he take you to a meeting with Him?"

I sigh. "Narcissa, please stop asking questions. Please."

I notice Narcissa's eyes travel down to my left arm, where the Mark is. I had been rubbing the spot, unconsciously. I quickly stop rubbing but it's too late.