ix) Christmas Party

I sit down with Pansy and Blaise for breakfast. Draco as always is skipping it. "So who are you taking to the party?" Pansy asks me.

I shrug. "I will be going alone." I answer. I have already talked with Draco and he said that he can't come to the party. I didn't argue knowing it will get me nowhere. He is bent on fixing the cabinet as fast as possible. And after the last letter, I don't blame him.

A few days ago, Voldemort had sent a letter telling Draco that unless he can fix the cabinet, he will have no family left. And the only family Draco cares about is Narcissa. I consider her my mother as well and even I don't try to stop Draco anymore. He won't listen.

I have also started skipping a few classes, especially Defense Against the Dark Arts. Snape isn't someone I am worried about. I usually want to skip Potions but Voldemort told me to get Slughorn's trust and that is something I can only do if I am in class.

"Will you be coming to class?" Pansy asks bringing me out of my thoughts.

I look up. "Not today." I answer. We don't have Potions and I don't have to worry about Defense Against the Dark Arts. That is my only class today.

After breakfast, I wave goodbye to Pansy and Blaise and climb the stairs to the seventh floor. I was so engrossed in thinking about what else I can try to fix the cabinet that I almost miss Harry. I quickly duck behind a corner and pull my invisibility cloak on.

As I had suspected, Harry is spying on Draco. His thoughts are so loud that I can hear him without trying much. Draco isn't in sight. I need to get rid of Harry before I enter the room.

I think for a little before taking out Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder. I bought this from the Weasley twins. They had agreed to sell any of their products to me seeing as I was their number one customer last year. This is the same thing Harry had used in the train.

As soon as the entire corridor goes dark, I quickly enter the room and close the door behind me. I only get rid of my cloak after I find Draco. He raises his eyebrows at me.

"Harry's outside." I answer.

Draco smirks a little. "Did he figure out where you disappeared to?"

I shake my head. "I pulled the same trick on him as he did on us back in the train."

Draco's smirk falls as he goes back to trying to fix the cabinet. I watch him simply. Once more I take in his perfect hair, perfect clothes but how he is paler and thinner than before and has bags under his eyes. Even when he smiles, it is forced. It's like he does it only to reassure me that he is still happy.

Draco notices me watching and looks over. "Got something on my face?" He asks.

I shake myself out of my stupor. "Nothing new." I say as I step beside him. "What are we doing today?"

"Do you think it is ready for travel?" Draco asks.

I consider his words. "We can try to send an object."

Draco nods and we both look around. My eyes land on a green apple and before I can move towards it, Draco does. He picks it up and looks at it for a few seconds. I wonder if he's considering eating it but he turns towards me.