The Aftermath

The next day was a sad one as in the morning, the funeral of Kung Lao took place. Liu Kang and Zirack were present as were all of the Shaolin monks. They honored him by having his best friends, Liu Kang and Zirack both pour water over one of Kung Lao's hands in a bathing ceremony. The casket was soon closed as it was surrounded by flowers, candles and sticks of incense. It was soon lowered into the ground and everyone mourned the monk's passing.

Over in Outworld the next day, a meeting was held to discuss the future of Outworld. Shang Tsung, Mileena, Motaro, Baraka, Cyrax, Sektor, Sheeva, Kano, Goro, Ermac and Tanya were all present as Goro began the topic of conversation, "Shao Kahn is dead."

"Without him, then who should rule?" Motaro asked as Baraka answered, "Mileena is his heir, she should rule." Sheeva argued against the potential kahnum and informed everyone, "She does not even have any of Shao Kahn's blood within her. Not unlike Riekhan. He has Shao Kahn's blood coursing through his veins. He should rule as his true heir." Mileena took umbrage with the shokan's words as others began to agree with her. "His power is too great for him to not lead us." Said Tanya as Kano got everyone's attention by asking. "That fake Zirack? You've gotta be shittn' me. What says he'll ever recover from the shitstomping the REAL Zirack gave to em?" Kano stated as he made a good point.

"This should not be as difficult as you all choose to believe. I should rule. The both of them are clones who only exist because of my sorcery." Shang Tsung stated as a recognizable voice was heard, "And you only continue to breathe because I restrain mine!" Everyone kneeled once they saw the sight of a weakened Shao Kahn holding his abdomen in pain. Barring Shang Tsung, everyone was surprised at the emperor still being alive.

"I am not so easily killed, Quan Chi accelerated my healing." He said as Shang Tsung tried to speak but the emperor stopped by and told him not to speak. "Because of you and your idea, Outworld can no longer merge with Earthrealm."

"There may yet be an alternative emperor, invasion." Quan Chi said as Shang Tsung attempted to argue against it. He was quickly stopped by Shao Kahn as he himself argued against the idea. "Do you mock me? Sindel's ward prevents me from setting foot in Earth Realm."

"Have you ever wondered why your empress chose to betray in this particular fashion?" Quan Chi asked as Shao Kahn replied, "Of course. But even after millennia, her motives are a mystery." He said as he walked towards his throne and everyone got back on their feet. "She realized that the safeguards afforded by the elder gods through the mortal Kombat tournament were but fiction. She sacrificed herself to protect Earth realm so that it would not suffer as had Edenia." Quan Chi said as Shao Kahn concurred. Tanya was shocked as she had never known what happened to the empress of her once home. Knowing this fact made her angry as she knew Sindel personally from her father being an Edenian ambassador.

Quan Chi presented the idea to Shao Kahn of reviving the empress as he said, "I have mastered the spells necessary for her resurrection. Her ward will be nullified as a result. And with it, the barrier that prevents your entry into Earth realm. I will return her to you of course, you will find her to be much more...cooperative." 'He's going to bewitch my empress?' Tanya asked herself as her inward anger grew. "This is a very magnanimous offer, Quan chi." Shao Kahn said as the warlock said, "I only wish to serve, my lord."

A few hours later, Quan Chi took Noob Saibot with him as they went to a desert with a skeleton appearing from the ground. The skeleton pulled themselves out of the sand as green magic surrounded them. The skeleton began to scream in agony as flesh and muscles formed. Then skin came next as the growth of long grey hair with black highlights followed up after. Bi-Han got into a fighting stance as Quan Chi crouched down and spoke with the empress. "Sindel, Shao Kahn looks forward to your return." The empress breathed heavily as she realized what he said and remembered, "Shao Kahn. Yes. What of Kitana?"