Another Attack

When you woke up in the morning, you noticed Steve was snoozing softly in his chair.
"He didn't sleep most of the night" Cloud told you.
"I'll go get him a coffee and something to eat" you spoke telepathically to him. You sometimes forgot and spoke out loud to him, but this morning being quiet seemed to be more important. You got up and padded to the window and saw Timothy was taking photo's of your truck, looking dumbfounded. You quickly put on your boots, not realizing you woke Steve up and rushed outside.
"I swear, I only ran into the diner for five minutes to use the bathroom and grab another coffee" he looked so upset. "My backup was running behind, I had to wait for it to be light out enough..." he trailed off as you looked at your poor truck. It was an old dark blue truck, one of your favorite colors, but now had "whore" spray painted across the side. You walked around the truck and saw the other side said "He's next" and you flinched.
"Does Morgan know yet?" you asked softly.
"He's on his way" he nodded. "I'm so sorry, he must have been casing the place, I swear I never saw anyone all night"
"It's okay. Don't worry about it. Thank you for keeping me safe" you gave a small smile. It was at that moment that Steve came out and paled a bit. He walked around the truck looking at it closely.
"Did you see anyone?" he asked Timothy.
"Not a soul all night, besides the people already staying here" he shook his head. "I was only gone five minutes"
"Don't worry about it son" Steve gave a small pained smile.
"Okay, thank you for spending the night" you whispered to him.
"You're welcome" Steve whispered back, giving a more sincere smile. "I have to call Tony" he walked back into the room and Cloud ran out and sniffed the air growling before going to do his business over in the bushes.

"How are you holding up?" Morgan got out of his car and looked at you expectantly.
"I'm fine, except now he's brought someone else into this" you gestured to the spray paint. "Take your pictures so I can wash it off"
"Timothy got enough, its already been emailed to me" he came over and sat beside you on the ground. Cloud had his head in your lap, trying to comfort you. You absentmindedly rubbed his fur.
"I need to wash it off" you stood up and went into the office asking for a bucket, soap and some old rags.
"We still can't find him. Timothy went looking last night, but there was no sign besides the spray paint that he was even here" Morgan told you as you came back. You nodded and started trying to scrub the hateful words off of your truck, but it wasn't coming off easily. You put more elbow grease into it, but it seemed futile. Steve came out a few minutes later with your bag of dirty laundry from the mission, and all your makeup and toiletries, putting them into the truck.
"You must be detective Morgan" he walked over to him and held out his hand.
"Captain Rogers" he nodded, raising his eyebrow at you and you shrugged.
"Thank you for taking care of Y/N all this time" Steve shook his hand.
"Its been part of the job, she's not that hard to work with" Morgan shrugged. "She makes my wife a pie every time I had to pretend to be her boyfriend in front of you folks"
"Well, you don't have to pretend anymore" Steve smiled.
"That's too bad, we like the pies" Morgan chuckled. "Baby girl, we are pressing charges on this one too, right?" he asked.
"Yes please, just please try to find him before he figures out where I work. I don't want the team knowing" you spoke softly while Cloud whined beside you. Try as you might, you couldn't get those hateful words off of your truck, you were barely making a dent, besides getting red paint all over you.
"Tony is on his way" Steve came over and took the cloth from you seeing tears in your eyes. "He's taking the truck to get detailed before bringing it back to the compound. You'll be staying there from now on" Steve used his no nonsense tone and you knew he was serious.
"I'm going to go wash this paint off of me" you nodded, while Morgan came over and took care of the supplies, bringing it back to the office.
"I didn't even smell him last night" Cloud followed you into the bathroom where you started scrubbing and letting a few tears fall.
"He was smart enough not to come to the door I guess" you said out loud.
"Stupid enough to leave his mark" he growled. "What did it say?"
"Whore, and he's next. Not sure if it meant you or Steve or Timothy who was keeping watch" you admitted.
"The man never respected you" he seemed just as upset as you were.
"That's why when I realized it, I broke up with him. We only dated for a few months" you admitted.
"That was too long to play lapdog around him" Cloud sounded perturbed.
"Next time you tell me not to date someone, I'll listen" you gave him a sad smile.
"You need a mate, he just wasn't the one for you" he easily responded. "Having a mate is a great honor"
"I don't need a mate" you shook your head. "I've had enough of that for a lifetime"
"Never say never. Finding the right mate is important" he seemed to be speaking from experience. "My mate was the most beautiful she wolf in the world" you could feel the pain in his voice.
"What happened?" you looked at him worriedly.
"Hunters happened. You showed up in my life shortly after" he admitted.
"You never told me about that" you felt sad for him.
"Its still painful" he responded softly. "I remember we used to chase each other through the woods, hunt together... play together"
"She must have been very special" you gave a smile. You felt him agree, but he didn't say anything else.

"You okay?" Tony asked as you as soon as you came out of the hotel room. There was nothing left for you to grab.
"You made record timing" you were surprised.
"I took the suit" he shrugged. You saw he was talking to Cap, Morgan and Timothy. "I'm going back to your place to see about your teddy bears, books and photo albums after I get the truck detailed"
"Tony, you are already doing so much for me" you felt guilty.
"Its what family does, I told you that you were apart of the family. Now let us take care of you" he shrugged. "Happy, Wanda and Nat are on their way, and are very excited to spend as much money as possible. I already warned them no thrift stores, only the good ones. You deserve to be spoiled for the day. We have your room set up so far, have everything delivered to the compound that doesn't fit in the SUV. I want you to get some new books and teddy bears just in case as well"
"Tony..." you drifted off. "I can't let you do that"
"Too late, the girls have their mission for the day" he shrugged. "As you know, they take their missions seriously"
"I'm staying with the truck so I can help them find what you need from the cabin" Cloud announced. "I'd rather not wear that service dog outfit again"
"But you look so cute" you said out loud by accident. You got a few questioning looks.
"Cloud said he's going to go with whoever goes to the cabin to help you find my things, he doesn't want to wear the service dog outfit again" you admitted quickly.
"Yeah, I'm never going to get used to the fact that you talk to the wolf" Morgan chuckled.
"She can do that?" Timothy asked.
"She can do more than that" Tony smiled with pride. "She's an Avenger"
"What's an Avenger need police protection for?" he asked without thinking.
"She refuses to hurt someone unless she has to, and that's only on missions. She's been through this nightmare long enough, don't you think kid?" Morgan asked him.
"I figure that's exactly how mouth is going to react, and then start saying its one of the reasons I shouldn't be on the team" you crossed your arms.
"He'll warm up to you" Steve gave a pained smile, knowing a lot of damage had been done already.
"I wont warm up to him" you shook your head.
"Never say never" Cloud looked at you.
"One thing, your room is between Steve and Bucky" Tony grimaced. "It's the only spot we have for now. Not to worry, I'm working on making more couple suites, since those things eventually happen. The first one available will be yours once construction is over, but its going to be a few months"
"Please say you're joking" you baulked.
"It was very last minute" Tony shrugged.
"This day can't get any worse" you pinched your nose between your eyes.
"Oh look, there's the girls now" Tony waved as Happy drove in the parking lot and you saw Nat was in the front seat and already saw your truck and looked livid. "You might have to explain it to Nat by the look on her face" he warned you.
"Who the fuck did this to you?" she jumped out of the SUV before it was barely parked and stormed over taking you into her arms and just holding you.
"Just an ex" you muffled into her shoulders.
"I hope you kicked his ass" she held you closer, and you shook your head. "You have explaining to do I think" she saw you were still in the same clothes.
"I've got Cloud and the truck" Tony announced.
"I'll give Captain a ride back to the compound" Morgan offered.
"Thanks, it was a long run here last night" Steve nodded to him.
"Cloud needs to eat still, and so does Steve" you called over
"So do you, don't forget it all goes on my credit card" Tony reminded you getting into the truck with Cloud.