Chapter 129

Yu Xiang was in seclusion for several months. People thought that she had lost her status as the di[1] young lady of the Marquis manor and was ashamed of meeting others. However, they had forgotten that even though the status of di daughter of the Marquis manor was high, it was not as high as that of a Xiangjun.[2]

The Emperor had yet to decree for her title to be taken away. Thus, she was still Si Nong Xiangjun. Ordinary women without a rank like Zhuo Shi and Yu Miao Qi were required to kneel before her and address her as 'Si Nong Xiangjun Niang Niang[3]'.

At this moment, they were struggling between kneeling and not kneeling. Their countenance scrunched up with resentment, looking very horrified. Yu Xiang helped the Old Madam to drink her ginseng tea slowly. Only after a few moments, she reprimanded them in a heavy tone, "These lowly people[4] have no manners, drive them out for me!"

As if they had found their backbone, Ma Momo and the others grabbed sticks, brooms, feather dusters and drove them away in a furry. Zhuo Shi couldn't order her family's servant to fight back. If they touched a piece of Yu Xiang's flesh in the midst of the commotion, the matter would be blown out of control. She had no choice but to lift her skirt and fled.

Yu Xiang refused to let them off. She shouted at their backs, "Madam Zhuo, I will kindly give you a word of caution. Yu Miao Qi killed her adoptive mother, framed her adoptive elder brother, plotted against her shu[5] elder sister, and planted evidence against her biological elder brother with her biological mother. If you plan to take advantage of her, beware that in the end she will gnaw on your bones till there is nothing left."

Zhuo Shi's footsteps faltered, and she stumbled when she crossed the door threshold.[6] Yu Miao Qi hurriedly reached out her hand to help her up, but it was slapped away. She could see that her words were taken to heart. However, Yu Miao Qi was desperate to use the power of the third branch of the family to send herself to a position of an imperial consort. When they return, she would have to rack her brain to curry favour. If she could not get her to let her guard down, the person the Yu family would be sent to the palace would be someone else.

Her path to glory and wealth would be overturned because of this statement. Yu Miao Qi's hatred for Yu Xiang was obvious. She made up her mind that when she became wealthy and powerful, she would make sure that Yu Xiang could neither live nor die.

Only after all the outsiders left, the Old Madam took her granddaughter into her arms again, patted her and called her 'precious' and continuously asking if she had suffered on the way back.

"With Master Ku Hai and Master Ku Hui taking care of us, Granddaughter has not suffered any hardship. Elder Brother is also doing well and will arrive in the capital in a few days." Yu Xiang told the Old Madam everything that had happened since she left for the Western Frontier.

Tears uncontrollably gushed out of the Old Madam's eyes. She said staunchly, "Good, very good. Regardless of whether it was a victory or defeat on the battlefield, it would be good if he can return home safely. Tomorrow, your grandmother will go to Zhen Guo Temple to ask for an auspicious date for you and Yan'er to get married. I have agreed with Lord Shen that I will pay for the bride price and dowry, so that you will be able to wear a beautiful red dress. I will definitely let you marry gloriously with ten-mile of dowries.[7] As for that incest or whatsoever, let those vulgar people talk about it. Let's just live our lives together."  

Yu Xiang was overjoyed and threw her arms around the Old Madam's neck. She said coquettishly, "Grandmother, you still love me. I will definitely help you to have a den of great-grandchildren in the future, so that we will have four generations under one roof. Do you think that will be good?"