Chapter 2

Yu Xiang was practising qin[1] in the room when she suddenly felt a sharp and severe pain in her chest. The qin's string at her fingertips unexpectedly snapped. She paled. Rotating her wheelchair, she frantically rushed to the door. Upon opening it, she saw her mother standing outside, a sorrowful expression etched into her face.

"Elder brother has a heart attack?" Although it was a question, her tone was very certain. She and her brother were twins with congenital disabilities; one was born with congenital heart disease while the other was born paralysed. Ever since they were young, they stayed in a sanatorium and were practically never separated. While other twins are considered mostly to have good relationships with each other, their relationship was so good that there is no distinction between themselves, and they have a strong telepathic bond.

When her elder brother was in pain, she would be in pain too. When her elder brother is happy, she would also be happy. When her elder brother was sad, she would also be sad and cry with him. When her elder brother was in danger, she would feel uneasy. No matter how far apart they were, those intuitions were unerring and would never fade.

Her mother was not surprised by her question. She looked down at her daughter before suddenly collapsing to her knees, after a long pause, pleading, "Xiang'er, give your heart to your older brother! He has an RH blood type. We are still unable to find a suitable heart, and it can't be delayed anymore! The doctor made a comparison between the two models, and all full twelve variants were compatible. Xiang'er, Mother begs you, save your older brother. If he dies, the Yu family will be ruined!"

Though she had always known that her parents didn't care about her, once she was confronted with the reality at this point in time, she felt that the skies were falling, the earth was torn apart, and her heart was as dead as embers.

"Get lost, get out of here!" She raised her voice and shouted at her mother, who was kneeling at her feet, and her veins on her neck throbbed because she used too much force.

She returned to the room and began smashing every breakable item she saw. The back of her hands were riddled with cuts from the broken porcelain shards. As a mother, how could she persuade her own daughter to die? How could she be so cold-hearted?! How was she so cold-hearted?!

She hated her cold and detached parents. She hated everyone in the family, but she was unable to hate her elder brother. Hand in hand, they had come into this world and grew up together. Without her elder brother's support and protection, there was no way she could've learned to live as proudly and wilfully as a paralysed person.

Unknowingly, tears had begun streaming down her face. Once she had calmed down, she turned to her mother, who was still kneeling by the door and said, "Get ready for the surgery. Quickly, elder brother can't take it anymore?"

'It's good that two incomplete people can keep on living as one complete person and continue to live a healthy life.' That was the last thought that went through her mind before she closed her eyes, succumbing to the influence of the anaesthetic.

**********

Yu Xiang blearily woke up and touched her aching legs with surprise. These legs had no consciousness since birth, so why was it so painful now? But soon, she was suddenly struck with the swift and stupefying realisation that her heart was still beating steadily in her chest.

"Ah..."

However, this abnormality was not the reason for her to inhale a breath of cold air. She realised that she had actually shrunk. These short hands and legs appeared to be those of a seven to eight-year-old.

Remnants of memories flooded her mind. With a hand on her forehead, she slowly processed the information and moaned pitifully. What a tragedy! After suffering so much hardship in her past life, she had unexpectedly been given a chance at rebirth, and her legs were still paralysed. That was fine, but she had transmigrated into a novel and became the novel's most unfortunate cannon fodder female character!