Chapter 53

When both mother and daughter arrived, Old Madam was doing her morning prayer. If Lin Shi had been mindful, she would have known the habit Old Madam developed over the past fourteen years. However, Lin Shi was partial to inattentiveness, thus leading to her daughter having to sit in the side hall and wait. They only saw Old Madam, whose body was covered with incense scent, coming out with the support of Ma Momo after finishing two pots of tea.

"Isn't this the first time you've come to pay your respect after fourteen years? It's indeed hard to come by." Old Madam leaned on the couch and slowly sipped her cup of tea, not even looking at Lin Shi.

First time paying her respect in fourteen years? What has mother been doing for the past fourteen years? Dumbfounded, Yu Miao Qi shot a glance at Lin Shi. It was only now that she understood why the relationship between these mother-in-law and daughter-in-law was so rigid.

Lin Shi was somewhat embarrassed. Racking her brains, she was thinking about how to gain her mother-in-law's favor when Yu Si Yu came in amidst the morning dew. Looking slightly surprised seeing Lin Shi here, she immediately bent her knees to curtsy.

This just gave Lin Shi a chance to extricate herself of this awkward moment, thus it was rare for Lin Shi to show a little more than moderate attitude towards the Shu daughter than before that she even personally supported the Shu daughter up.

Old Madam waved her hand allowing everyone to take their seats when she swept her gaze straight to Yu Miao Qi's waist seemingly opened her mouth inadvertently, "Why didn't you adorned the protective charm I gave you? It has been consecrated by the eminent monks which can repel ill-omened and ensure safety."

Without the slightest bit of remorse, Yu Miao Qi replied with a beautiful faint smile, "Responding to Grandmother. That's because it's a gift from Grandmother that this granddaughter dares not wear it everyday for fear of wear and tear, so granddaughter places it under the pillow to ensure a sound sleep. Granddaughter would like to thank Grandmother for your kindness and care.

If it weren't for the fact Old Madam was informed of this, she really wouldn't be able to discern the slightest hint of resentment and disdain from the face that smiled so sincerely. She was not only extremely cold-hearted, she was also very good at pretense. How did the Shen family raise her to be like this? Having such a fiendish fate and a cold-blooded nature, it would be a calamity to settle her in any family.

Old Madam did not deny her earlier dislike for Yu Miao Qi due to Lin Shi's partiality, which originally was only due to her being at odds with Lin Shi. However, when she met the actual person, that one to two parts of dislike had turned into seven to eight parts of detestment.

The more decent Yu Miao Qi behaved in front of her, the more it highlighted her treacherous and vicious nature on the sly. Merely gifting a piece of charm paper incurred her grudges, so wouldn't she bore a bitter hatred for Yan'er, who caused her imprisonment twice and also, to what extent was her contempt out of jealousy for Xiang'er, who occupies her venerated position?

Thinking about this, the seven to eight parts of detestment had now transformed into extreme alertness. Old Madam would now feel uncomfortable even looking at her a little more, so she simply turned her head away and spoke in a deep voice, "You can do whatever you like with it, just take it."

Always good at discerning others' mood and thoughts, Yu Miao Qi pursed her lips and stopped talking.

Seeing there was an opportunity, Yu Si Yu seized to gossip and gab about which household had drawn up marriage contracts or gotten betrothed, or soon to hold the joyous occasion.

Old Madam Looked at her thoughtful as she spoke impatiently, "Don't pull these inconsequential matters with me. You only have to express openly that you can't wait to get married and for me to discuss it with the Fang family, right?"