Chapter 118

The moon was at its highest and the early summer breeze was blowing through the window, bringing with it a little coolness. The incessant croaking of frogs could make people nervous. Yu Xiang took out the medicine box given to her by Miracle Physician Pu. She poured all of the medicine inside out onto the baoguo,[1] then rolled it up and took it away.

"Young Miss, it's past choushi (1 am - 3 am), the city gates are closed. Where can you go? Can't we discuss this tomorrow?" Liu Lu hurriedly went to grab the baoguo.

"Young Miss, why do you want to leave for no reason? Did you dream of the Marquis being in danger?" Tao Hong asked as she packed her clothes.

With her hands still trembling, Yu Xiang poured herself a cup of hot tea. After gulping it down, she finally regained a bit of her poise and said in a raspy voice, "I dreamt that my elder brother was hit by a stray arrow and fell into a harsh turbulent river and disappeared. There were still many pursuers trying to sneak attack him by firing arrows at him from the riverbank."

Other people's dreams could be illusory, but her master's dreams were realistic foresight. Tao Hong and Liu Lu drew in a cold breath. They finally understood why she had to leave the city in the middle of the night. From past experiences, this hadn't happened yet. Thus, the Marquis would be able to be vigilant if they are able to inform him.

"But Young Miss, you can have someone send a letter to the Marquis. Why do you have to go personally? That is the Western Frontier, where war is raging and roving bandits and barbarians are everywhere. It is not a place where ordinary people should go." Liu Lu discouraged solemnly.

Yu Xiang waved her hand and said firmly, "I must deliver the letter personally. I won't feel at ease unless I see Elder Brother for myself."

"But Young Master[2] won't approve." Tao Hong spoke softly and cautiously.

Yu Xiang fell silent for a moment. Then she responded, "I don't need his approval. I will tell him tomorrow that my legs hurt and I would like to seek medical help at Zhen Guo Temple. Consequently, I will take the opportunity to stay there. The monks at Zhen Guo Temple are all skilled in martial arts, so it would be fine if I ask Master Ku Hai to lend me a few monks as guards throughout the journey."

Shen Yuan Qi would never agree to let her go to the Western Frontier because she was a girl. Even if guards were hired to accompany her, it was not one-hundred percent that she would be safe. It was different if it were the monks from Zhen Guo Temple, where they would definitely be safe and secured. The main problem now was to convince Master Ku Hai.

Having made up her mind, Yu Xiang lay back down on her couch, but she was unable to sleep for the rest of the night. The next morning, she pretended that her legs hurt and asked Shen Yuan Qi to send her to the mountain to seek medical treatments. The source of her illness was in her bones and Ku Hui would not be able to discern it (the lie) for a while. Seeing that she wished to stay in Zhenguo temple, he agreed.

Shen Yuan Qi could not delay his official duties. Thus, he took his younger sister and warned her repeatedly before reluctantly heading down the mountain.

When he was out of sight, Yu Xiang immediately went to meet Master Ku Hai. The two of them talked for a long time in the meditation room, but Ku Hai was not a match against Yu Xiang's sharp tongue. He said that if she drew the 'Emperor stick', he would personally take her to the Western Frontier.

Yu Xiang's heart was beating like a drum, and she felt uneasy. She knelt and prayed in front of the Chien Tung for half a shichen (an hour) before starting to turn it... Then, she drew the 'Emperor stick' again.

Ku Hai stared with eyes as wide as the size of a brass bell. He took the 'Emperor stick' and flipped it around to examine it. He picked up the rest of the bamboo sticks and inspected them one by one, fearing that the Chien Tung[3] had been tampered with and was replaced with 70% to 80% of 'Emperor stick'. Who in the world could win three times in a row when the chance was one in a billion? Yu Xiang was indeed well-loved by the heavens.