Chapter 81

After Yu Xiang got dressed, she sat down in front of the dressing table to draw her eyebrows.

A short while later, Sun Shi arrived and called out once she entered the threshold, "Xiang'er, aunt's good Xiang'er. Why haven't you sent money to the residence for so long? Both your uncle and I hardly have anything in the pot. Hurriedly handed over the silvers as I intend to adopt and name Lin Laowu's son under your uncle's but Lin Laowu insisted on 600 taels, otherwise he won't let him go. Whether your uncle and I will have any male heir to send us off in the future depends on this. Xiang'er, you must not abandon us ah!"

Sun Shi gave birth to only a daughter. When she prepared to have a son, her husband took too much five-mineral powders (some sort of drug) that made him infertile and the family fortune was also seized back by the first branch of the family. Since then, they have been down on their luck and in dire straits. Their livelihood was indeed miserable, hence she had to cling unwaveringly to her sister-in-law for dear life. But who would have thought, her sister-in-law was also useless. When her husband died, it was as if the sky had collapsed that she went into seclusion!

Fortunately, her niece is a dependable person. Not only did she banked in 200 taels a month, she also sent cartloads of gifts to the family during festivals which made their lives a lot easier. In the past four years since her niece took charge of the household, there hasn't been any stoppage of payment and it's really rare for her to disregard them like this time. Sun Shi had withheld for several days but came over urgently seeing that the son who would be within her grasp flitting away soon.

"You want to adopt the son of Lin Laowu's family?" Yu Xiang carefully brushed her eyebrows with the black pigment brush and spoke absent-mindedly, "As I recall, the youngest son of Lin Laowu's family is already 19, can he still foster kinship?"

Seeing an opening, Sun Shi took the chance hurriedly and replied with an ingratiating smile, "He will, he will foster kinship. Both our families are neighbors that live next to each other. All in all, his mother gave birth to 3 sons and 2 daughters whom she is unable to look after and even entrusted Lin Yun to my care. Although we do not have the status of mother and son, our affections are closer than the biological mother. Lin Laowu's second son wants to marry the daughter of Fang family's patriarch but he can't afford the betrothal gifts, so he agrees to let me adopt Lin Yun."

She took out a handkerchief and pretended to wipe her tears. "Xiang'er, your uncle and I have a hard livelihood. We don't even have anyone to take care of us in our old age nor give us a proper burial after we die, so please help aunt this one time."

Putting down the black pigment brush, Yu Xiang dabbed and carefully spread a little rouge on both sides of her cheeks then sighed, "It's not me who is unwilling to help aunt. Moreover, this is merely a trifling 600 taels. In the past, the amount of money that slipped through my fingers was more than that, but it's different now. I'm not sure if aunt has heard, my twin sister is back. Yu manor is now all managed by her and Mother while I have nothing to do with it. Why? How many days has it been, they actually forget to send you and uncle the money? I have properly explained to them at that time."

All along she has always been generous with the money for Sun Shi's family since it's all drawn out from Lin Shi's pocket anyway, so why not?

Realizing what had happened all of a sudden, Sun Shi gritted her teeth, "So that's what happened. I said how could Xiang'er be so heartless and suddenly abandon us. As I have been occupied with the matter of adopting an heir these past few days and also waiting for your mother to pay us a visit with your sister, I did not expect they would completely disregard both your uncle and I. It's fine if they don't acknowledge us, but they even cut off our money."

Yu Xiang sighed, "Don't mention about cutting off your money. When I first handed over the accounts, they still blamed me for their own wrong calculations and insisted Old Madam to reason things out. I guess I am afraid of them and will not dare to take up the household management again in the future. If aunt wants money, you can just ask my Mother. Mother still misses uncle and probably overlooks because she is momentarily too busy. The only thing I need to warn aunt is that my Elder Sister is extremely stingy and will probably not give the money so easily."