Chapter 49

After each had cleaned up with a change of clothes, Yu Pin Yan and Shen Miao Qi walked to the main hall one after the other. Old Madam was already sitting on the main seat and waved at her granddaughter who was in her grandson's arms, "Xiang'er, come and sit beside Grandmother."

With utmost care, Yu Pin Yan placed his younger sister down and sat next to her.

Lin Shi ordered Jin Momo to get some tea and pulled Shen Miao Qi to take a seat before she censured, "Yan'er, clean yourself first before you come back next time. Look, you have frightened Qi'er today. What's to be done if she gets hurt? Moreover, today is a joyous day for the manor, but you came back with a body full of blood which unreasonably caused a great deal of bad luck!"

This was truly..... she hadn't cared for her son in fourteen years yet the moment she opened her mouth, it was to criticize him for being unclean. Did she know why he was tainted with such a reeky smell of blood or had she any idea how huge a price he had to pay to uphold this family or how many life and death calamities he had to go through in these recent years to give everyone a better life? Where was she when he was enduring these hardships? So, what right does she have to make this irresponsible remark?

Yu Pin Yan did not speak, he merely glanced at her nonchalantly. Old Madam, however, found it offensively laughable that she slammed the table and cursed, "This is Marquis Yongle manor and is Yan'er home. He can come back whenever he likes, so when is it your turn to interfere? If you disdain Yan'er, you can get out as soon as possible! Ma Momo, get the bill of divorcement!"

Every time when Old Madam talked to Lin Shi, she had to take out the long-written bill of divorcement to deter her. It had been fourteen years and was truly wearisome. If it wasn't for the fact that she was Yan'er birth mother, she would have tossed her back to her maiden home.

If it was in the past, Lin Shi would certainly have covered her face with sobs, disregard and completely ignored Old Madam's reprimand. However, her daughter was now watching by her side, thus she felt greatly humiliated that her face momentarily flushed scarlet. She hadn't been in charge of the household for fourteen years, so Old Madam had the final say for all matters within the manor. If Old Madam wanted to repudiate the wives on behalf of her son, Lin Shi would have no choice but to pack her luggage and leave.

Secretly, she dug her fingers into her palms and looked towards her son to plead for help.

Yu Pin Yan bowed his head and cracked the melon seeds then stuffed the kernels into his younger sister's mouth one by one, as if he completely didn't see or hear anything.

At this juncture, there was also no room for Yu Si Yu to speak, so she buried her head and played dead.

The hall was unusually quiet in this instant and only the crunchy sound of Yu Xiang chewing the kernels remained. Her big round eyes casted a glance towards Shen Miao Qi's face.

With fear and trepidation, Shen Miao Qi opened her mouth, "Grandmother, Mother only feels distressed for me and has a slipped of tongue. Begging for your forgiveness."

At this moment, Jin Momo came in with a pot of tea. Shen Miao Qi hurriedly poured a cup of hot tea and knelt in front of Old Madam before saying, "Granddaughter has returned home for the first time, so this cup of tea is to pay respect to Grandmother. Wishing Grandmother a long life and unceasingly blessed of happiness." Once the words fell, her hands raised high with an ardent gaze.

Old Madam looked at her fixedly for a long while before taking the teacup for a sip. She then handed a small pouch over, "You are someone perspicacious. Get up. Take this as it can keep you safe and sound. Since you've already evaded the death calamity, there is no need to keep someone else's last name anymore. From now on, you will be called Yu Miao Qi and ranked second while Xiang'er's rank will be moved down to be Third Young Miss."