Chapter 59

Yu Pin Yan didn't even look at Lin Shi or Yu Miao Qi after entering the room. He bent over to pick Yu Xiang up and hugged her on his lap once he greeted Old Madam. Turning around, Yu Xiang fed him a peanut kernel then continued shelling those peanuts.

"Don't eat it anymore, it's either peanuts or melon seeds all day long. Beware of excessive internal heat." Yu Pin Yan grabbed the plate of peanuts and asked Ma Momo to take it away then instructed, "Pour a cup of Kuding tea for Young Miss."

Ma Momo complied in a low voice, yet she heard Yu Xiang's call out, "Kuding tea is too bitter, add two scoops of sugar." Seeing her elder brother's narrowed eyes, she haltingly spoke, "No, no, no, add one, just one scoop." Her elder brother's eyes were still full of disapproval, so she put on a last-ditch, "Half a scoop, it can't be lesser." As she spoke, she stretched out her fair finger to poke her elder brother's hard chest.

Finally unable to stay rigid anymore, Yu Pin Yan's stern look instantly turned into a puddle of soft water as he helplessly said, "Add half a scoop of sugar then." His thumb gently stroked his younger sister's lips while he muttered inwardly, fond of sugar so much that it's wonder she is so sweetly delicious and unbeknownst when she will be enlightened allowing him to devour her up.

They were truly a quarrelsome but loving pair whose predestination was from a cultivation of hundred years. Old Madam shook her head and laughed in spite of herself when her mood immediately improved a lot.

In the hall, both mother and daughter had their heads lowered, not knowing what their thoughts were.

A short while later, Yu Si Yu arrived followed by Ma Momo who was carrying some tea.

"Greeting to Grandmother and Mother. What's the matter that I am requested to be here today?" Yu Si Yu was full of anticipation and secretly wondered if it was to discuss her marriage.

"Sit down. Your Mother has something to say, let's listen." Old Madam waved her hand, then looked at Lin Shi.

After drinking a cup of tea did Lin Shi open the box to take a ledger out before slamming it heavily on the table and exclaimed in a very excited tone, "Mother, take a good look at these ledgers. My dowry has actually been deficient of more than a hundred thousands taels, while five thriving shops were also sold at a discounted price. If it's not for my timely discovery, I'm afraid there will only be an empty shell left in a few years! I just want to ask who's in charge of the household? Such a nasty trick!" As she spoke, she turned her malicious gaze toward Yu Xiang.

Nestling in her elder brother's arms at his moment, Yu Xiang was taking sips of tea from him as if she hadn't heard her accusation.

Rather, Old Madam laughed openly. Her voice filled with suppressed anger, "Lin Shi, look at the book spine. The ledgers that went wrong were all before the 21st years of Chengkang's reign when I was still in charge of the household."

Is, is this an admission of embezzling the dowry which was admitted by Old Madam herself too? Lin Shi was dumbfounded. Of course she could see the year marked on the spine, but she had simply never considered Old Madam at all. Old Madam's maiden family was the most prestigious and well reputed erudite family in the Great Han Dynasty, which had never produced a descendant of bad virtue since the founding of the Han Dynasty, thus the strictness of her family upbringing could be seen. Old Madam herself is the paragon of a virtuous lady who can't bear having grit in her eyes.

How could she do such a scandalous thing? Lin Shi firmly believed that it was Yu Xiang who falsified the accounts and moved those deficits prior to Old Madam's household management, so that Lin Shi would mistakenly think it was Old Madam's doing and forced her to suffer the grievances.