Chapter 8

Seeing that Yu Xiang was drenched in cold sweat and pale as a ghost, Yu Pin Yan hurriedly stepped forward and asked anxiously, "Does it hurt a lot? Has the doctor been summoned?"

Yu Xiang grabbed hold on his sleeve and asked, "Elder brother, where are you going?"

The little girl seemed to be shaking with an intense restlessness. It could be that after accompanying her unfailingly every day, this sudden departure had terrified her. Yu Pin Yan sat beside the bed and softly appeased her, "Elder brother is going on an official mission and will be back very soon. Xiang'er, do not be afraid. Look for Feng Momo if you have any problems. She will take care of you."

While Yu Xiang was pondering deeply on how to make him stay behind, Liu Lu came in with the doctor. She might just as well let the doctor check her pulse to stall for more time.

Yu Pin Yan waited patiently. Once the doctor concluded that there was no problem, he felt relieved and ordered the maidservant to decoct the medicinal herbs urgently. Mouthfuls of concoctions were then fed to Yu Xiang.

Yu Xiang racked her mind for solutions as she drank the medicine. Unconsciously, she finished the whole bowl of concoction without getting any ideas.

Yu Pin Yan looked at her improved complexion and stuffed a piece of candied fruit into her mouth. He took out a soft pillow and lay her flat on the bed. As he carefully tucked the quilt around her, he softly crooned some comforting words: don't be afraid, rest well and then he turned to leave.

Yu Xiang had always been able to perceptively and accurately sense her elder brother's personal safety in her previous life. Although the elder brother in this lifetime had changed, those perceptive feelings did not disappear but seemed to have intensified. Thinking over it carefully, this could be regarded as a good turn of events. If Yu Pin Yan could be safe and sound, she would also be able to live well and smoothly. As the Marquis Yongle manor made quite a lot of enemies, there would undoubtedly be turbulent times in the royal court and Yu Pin Yan would definitely face many calamities in the future.

She didn't know the novel's plot line. She had no idea if the author would have written the decline of the Marquis Yongle manor for the sake of increasing the female lead's determination and fight for success. They might merely have to wait for the female lead's return to illustrate her prowess and to propel the Marquis manor to the pinnacle of success, leading everyone in the manor, including the Old Madam, to worship the female lead.

Thinking over that scenario, Yu Xiang felt a frigid chill run through her. She couldn't bear to think what kind of censure she, as the 'jinx', would have to endure in a declined Marquis manor. All kinds of charges would definitely be piled on her as the cannon fodder who was doomed to be the female lead's stepping stones!

However, Yu Xiang, who was known to be prideful her whole life, would not allow anyone to treat her as the stepping stones. Even if she was not the lead character, she nevertheless still wanted to live impressively at ease, and that would mean Yu Pin Yan would absolutely not be allowed to meet with any mishap.

Yu Xiang gritted her teeth and moaned mournfully, putting on an expression of one suffering excruciating pain.

Yu Pin Yan hurriedly turned back. He then pulled her quilt-covered body into his embrace and patted her from top to bottom, ordering someone to go fetch the doctor again. The doctor had not gone too far away, anxiously returned to check her pulse again, and persistently explained that there was no problem at all.

However, Yu Xiang was moaning more distinctly and both her hands stubbornly clasped around Yu Pin Yan's neck. "Elder brother, I am in so much pain," she pleaded. "Elder brother, please don't go..."