Chapter 31

Yu Xiang took a short nap. After waking up, she looked at her nails and saw that the pigments on her fingernails had faded and ordered Tao Hong to prepare Impatiens balsamina[1] juice for her. "Put more rose essential oil in it since it would leave a faint fragrance when the fingernails are dyed in it. In this way, when I lightly wave my hands and swing my sleeves, it will exude natural charms."

Tao Hong responded in agreement. She took out a small clay bowl, placed the Impatiens balsamina and alum inside, then proceeded to grind it into fine powder. .

Liu Lu came in with a huge brocade box. She lifted the curtain and reported, "Young Miss, the shopkeeper has brought the spring outfits and head ornaments. Would you like to pick them out for yourself first, or send it to the Eldest Young Miss as they are?"

"Send it over to her. I'm sure she's sticking her neck out at the door now." Yu Xiang was half leaning on the bedhead and her thin blouse slipped off her shoulder revealing half of her snow-white arms. A small bralette outlined her exquisite figure.

"The air in Spring is chilly. It's the time when the weather changes abruptly from warm to cold. Please wear more, Young Miss." Liu Lu put down the brocade box and draped a piece of open cross-collar jacket on her. Then, she took out her silk black hair from the lapel and combed it slowly with a double-edged fine-toothed comb. She ordered two little maidservants to carry her to the dressing table to have a seat.

Yu Xiang lay down on the table languidly. Her fingertips were fiddling with the red tassels on the brocade box. She spoke slowly, "Go and tell Qiu Shi to keep an eye on Yu Si Yu. If Yu Si Yu dares to do anything out of line, no matter what the offenses are, whether she didn't recognize her superior or unable to recognise her own social status, tie her up first. Even if I hit that brain of hers with a mace, she won't listen to a word I say. She thinks I'm jealous of her because I can't bear to see her doing well. If she has any bad intentions, she insists on going down this path and she will not shed a tear until she sees the coffin. If it were not for the fear that she might bring trouble to my elder brother, I wouldn't care whether she lived or died, and would let her jump into the fire pit."

As Liu Lu listened, she nodded in agreement. Seeing that the master's hair was too smooth to be pulled up in a bun, she applied osmanthus oil on her hair and arranged it into a butterfly-flower shape with several silver hairpins.

Yu Xiang looked towards the bronze mirror and waved her hands with satisfaction, "Alright, go quickly."

Tao Hong grinded the Impatiens Balsamina. She placed the mixed flower juice that was mixed with alum and rose essential oil into a small bowl, and then soaked a ball of cotton. Noticing that the Young Miss was bored stiff, she thought of a topic and said, "Young Miss, the Fang family's son is really charming."

"Oh? How is he charming?" Yu Xiang turned to look at her.

"His skin is very fair and clear, burly eyebrows, nose..." Tao Hong said as she used a small tweezer to carefully place the nail-sized cotton ball onto her master's fingertips, took a cotton towel and wrapped it.

As they were chatting enthusiastically, Ah Lu, the big parrot hanging on the corridor, cried out loudly, "The Marquis is here! The Marquis is here!"

Tao Hong immediately kept quiet, but it was already too late. Yu Pin Yan came in with an expressionless face and said in a deep voice, "No one is allowed to set foot in the front yard for a month, and those who violate this rule will be rewarded the board thirty times by the steward."

Tao Hong agreed in response as she trembled with fear.

Yu Xiang pursed her lips and smiled, "Elder brother, is that son from the Fang family really so charming?"