Chapter 5

When the groggy Yu Xiang finally regained consciousness, it was already noon the next day. It was quiet inside the room and no one was around keeping watch. From beyond the door, the chatting voices of maidservants and several pozi could be heard, engaged in lively discussion punctuated by snorts of laughter.

Yu Xiang knitted her brows and yelled, "Somebody come. Pour me some water."

The laughter outside the door stopped instantly but quickly picked up again, with no indication that her order had even been perceived.

Gloomily, Yu Xiang unleashed her fury and once again shouted loudly, "Somebody come. Pour me some water."

"Coming, coming, I am here!" A maidservant came in, annoyed.

As the teapot had been left inside the room the whole night, the tea had long turned completely cold. Yu Xiang admonished herself repeatedly, telling herself that this was the Marquis Yongle manor, not the home of her elder brother and hers. That knowledge was enough to make her suppress her anger and gulp down mouthfuls of the bitter tea.

"Wipe my face," she coldly ordered as she placed the teacup down.

The maidservant inwardly rolled her eyes. She went out and ordered the two new little maidservants to attend Yu Xiang. Neither the Madam and Old Madam were fond of Yu Xiang, and even her only elder brother treated her nonchalantly. Though she did not have to worry about her basic necessities, the respect deserved for a daughter of her stature was nevertheless non-existent. Even Yu Si Yu's livelihood could be considered more comfortable compared to hers as her maidservants and pozi were left behind by her yiniang*; hence, she could easily order them around.

Compared to her the manor's young miss, Yu Xiang's two main maidservants had always been more unruly and discourteous. This wasn't even taking into account the late wet nurse who had known and regarded her as a bastard all along.

The two new little maidservants, on the other hand, were utterly deferent. They carried out their tasks with nimbleness and dexterity. They wiped Yu Xiang's exposed skin thoroughly and went out to replace the pot with hot tea before serving it to their master.

Yu Xiang released a deep breath and her gloomy expression lightened slightly. If her elder brother was still around, no one would dare slight her like this. But she must not think about it; it would only bring tears to her eyes should she continue pondering over it.

In her previous life, she had been spoiled and doted on under her elder brother's care. She had never come across any suppression. Her temperament was delicate; easily prone to flights of weeping and capricious bouts of temper. Now that she was here, her life had been downtrodden. Everything must be carefully thought out and restraint exercised, with a practiced austerity that could turn her into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!

Her nose felt sourish which prompted her to raise her chin up, fighting to stop the tears from streaming out. Even if she cried, who would empathise her? It would be better to conserve her energy and use it for more deserving matters.

As she sat there blankly for a while, the main maidservant led the two little maidservants in. One was carrying a bowl of medicine while the other held a bowl of bubbling hot porridge. She then gestured for both to set the bowls down on the table. The maidservant disdainfully said, "Young Miss, first drink the medicine, and then the porridge."

"I don't want to drink it. You stay behind. Let the two little maidservants leave." Yu Xiang leaned back against the soft pillow and shut her eyes.

The main maidservant beckoned the two little maidservants out. She then stepped forward and repeated, "Young Miss, drink the medicine. It won't be as effective once it gets cold."