Chapter 89

After Zhou Shi had been dealt with, Emperor Cheng Kang pointed at Yu Miao Qi who was hiding and asked, "Old Madam, is this granddaughter of yours the second girl who has just returned home and the secular disciple of Abbess Le Kong?"

The secular disciple of Abbess Le Kong? When did that happen? Old Madam did not care about mundane matters for many years and had not been in touch with various families, so she knew nothing about the rumors spread by Lin Shi's mother and daughter. Now that the Emperor personally asked about it while knowing perfectly well the origin of Yu Miao Qi, the embarrassment felt was simply unmentionable.

Inconsequentially, this matter could be considered as Yu Miao Qi's tactless speech due to vanity but it could also be as serious as deceiving the monarch, ah!

Old Madam was permeated with cold sweat yet Yu Miao Qi just smiled faintly as she bowed to reply, "Reporting to Master Huang, Miao Qi had only stayed a few days listening to some teachings of Abbess Le Kong and has yet to be called a secular disciple."

She did not explicitly say she was a secular disciple of Abbess Le Kong in the first place but had merely dropped some hints and the speculative rumors were all conjectured by those noblewomen. Right now, she was telling the truth and the words nevertheless sounded modest to others. After all, Abbess Le Kong is the Di elder sister of the Emperor and should the siblings talk about this matter in the future, the speculation could also be regarded as squashed and not be suspected of deceiving the monarch.

Emperor Cheng Kang's gaze turned slightly cold and even the Crown Prince who has always been gentle, knitted his brows too as he secretly muttered that this girl indeed has unfathomable scheming with a sordid nature.

Catching sight of their emotional changes, Yu Miao Qi could not help but feel aghast and wondered what had she actually said wrongly when she heard Emperor Cheng Kang spoke in a deep voice, "Old Madam, this granddaughter of yours after all had grown up outside. Her bearing eventually can't compare to Xiang'er and still needs to be taught well."

"Master Huang is right. Two Momo had since been invited to teach her but she lacks a little intelligence and yet to be enlightened after all." Old Madam heaved a long sigh and did not take Yu Miao Qi's face into consideration.

All the noblewomen shook their heads inwardly when they heard this statement and secretly commented that this girl is just too small-minded like the Emperor said. Although she has Abbess Le Kong's teachings, she has lived secluded in the forested mountains for many years and still lacks some knowledge. She is suitable to be the wife of a humble household but not worthy of being the prominent family's wife. If it was her who was smashed with the egg today, she would have been plotted against by Zhou Shi while Yu Pin Yan would be bearing the misdeed of killing a witness to silence them and everyone present would have been implicated too. She is still too inferior to be presented in public.

Yu Miao Qi's complexion turned ghastly pale and with reddened eyes, she dodged behind Lin Shi and began to tremble slightly. She has lost to Yu Xiang again today and it was a total defeat. With this comment from the Emperor, her path of marrying into the Crown Prince's residence is regarded as completely cut off.

Lin Shi gripped her icy-cold hand quietly as a sign of comfort but how could there be no sense of shame and resentment in her heart.

Shen Yuan Qi quietly moved to Yu Xiang's side and handed over a clean handkerchief while those several people were talking. Although Yu Xiang had met him twice and had a very good impression of him, she still shook her head slightly and declined as she was not close enough to accept his personal belongings.

Right at this moment, Yu Pin Yan had asked for a wet handkerchief from the shopkeeper and as soon as Yu Xiang saw her elder brother, she threw herself into his arms then rubbed her head that was full of egg fluid all over his clothes and squinted her bright feline-like eyes with a smirk.