Chapter 27

The noble madams gathered outside the hall and stretched their necks to see from time to time. When they saw the Old Madam finally came out, they quickly surrounded her.

The Crown Princess invited the Old Madam to take a seat beside her and ordered someone to prepare pastries for Yu Xiang. Then, she said slowly, "Old Madam Yu, did you receive a satisfactory answer from Master Kuhai?" As for what the old madam asked, she had no intention to pry. After all, she was from an aristocratic family, and she was raised that way.

The Old Madam said with a smile, "Satisfied, very satisfied. I don't dare to ask random questions in these circumstances, and only asked about the safety of Yan'er. It has been said that he has narrowly escaped death, and that he would return safely."

For Yu Pin Yan to earn military merits, it was equivalent to adding on to the Crown Prince's power. The Crown Princess laughed delightedly after hearing that. The noble madams knew that the Old Madam valued her grandson more than anything else. They would be surprised if she didn't ask about her grandson who was fighting for his life and survived after facing great dangers in the battlefield.

Thus, they enquired about each other's well-being again.

Yu Xiang tolerated for a moment but could no longer sit still. She tugged the hem of the Old Madam's dress and whispered, "Grandmother, I want to go to Mahavira Hall to pray for blessings for my elder brother. Can I head out first?"

"Alright, go ahead. Grandmother will come later." The Old Madam stroked her head lovingly.

After Yu Xiang left, the Old Madam and the Crown Princess continued to talk for a while, before walking towards the Mahavira Hall together. They saw the little child kneeling on the futon. Everytime she recited a scripture, she kowtowed devoutly. It has only been half an hour, and her forehead was already so swollen and red such that it was unsightly. She looked towards the Buddha statue devotedly, praying that he would bring her elder brother back safely.

The Old Madam's tears started rolling down her cheeks as she saw the scene before her, and she quickly used a handkerchief to wipe away the tears.

The Crown Princess sighed and spoke, "Old Madam Yu, having this granddaughter isn't a loss! Siblings who could be as affectionate and close like those from your family are very rare."

The Old Madam smiled with her lips pursed together. There was pride in her voice. "Indeed, what the Crown Princess has said is true. My family's Xiang'er is great in every area. She is filial, sensible, courteous and intelligent."

The Crown Princess chuckled and left the hall for the grandmother and granddaughter who sincerely prayed for safety.

After reading scriptures for a day in the hall and donating five hundred catties of sesame oil, the pair of grandmother and granddaughter went down the mountain under the setting sun. The Old madam and Ma Momo boarded the first carriage and the carriage behind was for Yu Xiang and her maidservant.   

After being exposed to the sun for half a day, the mud on the road had dried out. The road was much more stable when they had just left, but the Old Madam felt more uneasy. Master Ku Hai's comments were stuck in her head, and could not be eased no matter what. She took those words apart one by one, broke them up, crumpled them, and then placed them back together again. The discomfort that she tried to deliberately ignore was magnified infinitely.

Sure enough, her blood-related granddaughter was a jinx!

Ma Momo also kept thinking about it. After hesitating for a long time, she then spoke softly, "Old Madam, Master Ku Hai said that Young Miss and Marquis' fate opposes each other, and if they were siblings, they would be against/fight with each other and couldn't coexist. What do you think of this?" Should we look for her and bring her back? What should we do if she jinxed the Marquis?