Chapter 44

Old Madam was having a terrible headache when Wan Qiu lifted the curtain and cried anxiously, "It's not good, Old Madam. Madam hung herself by the noose. Go and have a look quickly."

"What? Hung herself by the noose? Is she dead?" Old Madam was taken aback that she nearly rolled off the soft divan.

"Fortunately, Jin Momo discovered and saved her in time. At this moment, she is semi-conscious and mumbling deliriously." Wan Qiu squatted down to put the shoes on for Old Madam.

Before the shoes were properly worn, she walked out and pondered with spitting anger: One courted terrible mishap outside that nearly led to the confiscation and loss of peerage of my Marquis manor while the other hung herself by the noose at home which almost discredited Yan'er's reputation. These two mother and daughter must be here to collect debts!

Yu Xiang arrived at the principal courtyard one step earlier. Although she had no affection for Lin Shi, she was Lin Shi's daughter in name and besides, she was also in-charge of the entire Yu manor, thus when the servant informed her, she couldn't disregard the report but to make this trip.

Lin Shi was laying inverted on the divan, gasping for air. The purplish bruises on her face had yet to fade but the red stripe mark on her neck was absolutely shocking. Both eyes were tightly closed, simultaneously shaking her head and murmuring deliriously.

Yu Xiang strained her ears to hear, it was "Daughter, where's my daughter."

Yu Xiang had never thought herself an outsider, moreover she still 'didn't know' she wasn't the true lineage of Yu manor, so she hastily sent someone to call for the doctor while dejectedly sneered, "I'm obviously by your side, why Mother keeps calling daughter and for this reason you hung yourself? You really don't want me to live well even when you die, don't you? If you truly love and care about me, why don't you repent and take a look at me! Usually I am nonexistent in your eyes, but why do you call me non-stop when you are unconscious? What actually are you thinking about? Just tell me plainly!"

She naturally knew which daughter Lin Shi was asking for, but it didn't prevent her from being angry with Lin Shi's actions. She could just toss away all her troubles with death, but her elder brother would have to clean up her mess. If one or two unpleasant rumors were to spread out, how many people would take this opportunity to stab her elder brother!

Thinking of this, she was simply beside herself with anger. With the horse whip, she ruthlessly lashed out on the bedding besides Lin Shi's hand where the muffled thrashing echoed in the room.

Jin Momo who was Lin Shi's personal maid feared Yu Xiang might really whipped her master, so she hurriedly rushed over to stop her, "Second Young Miss, in any case Madam is still your mother. Even if you don't love her, should you censure her? This is indeed too rebellious[1]!" As she knew Yu Xiang's identity, there was not the least respect in her tone, only disdain and contempt.

"I'm the master and you are a bondservant. You are talking about being rebellious with me. Just let me teach you what superiority and subservience means!" Yu Xiang back-handedly lashed her away then furiously yelled at the unconscious Lin Shi, "Even if you want to die, don't pick such a scandalous method! Do you know how many people are keeping their eyes on the Marquis manor nowadays? Do you know superficially my Elder Brother is impressive, but how difficult he is in private? It's easy for you to just die, but should others seize this matter as a vilification to attack my Elder Brother, his official career will be ruined! Do you think it's easy for him to get this far, he has used his life as the barter and every step is dripping with blood? Even if you don't love him, please don't keep giving him trouble, can you? I'm begging you! Elder Brother doesn't owe you anything, instead it's you who have never fulfilled the responsibility as a mother! If you have just a little conscience, can you please just live on placidly?"