Chapter 30

Yu Si Yu was embroidering Buddhist scriptures for the Old Madam when she heard the chattering voices of the young maidservants.

"Two distinguished guests have visited our manor today. Have you seen them? That outfit, the clothes they are wearing, such grandeur!"

"It's said that she is the Old Madam's old friend's daughter. Her husband's family is Shi Yuntong, the envoy of salt transportation. This time, she accompanied her son to the capital for the imperial examination."

"How did he fare?"

"Of course, he is in the top ten. Otherwise, he wouldn't be staying in the capital and waiting for the imperial examination. The Marquis is the emperor's highly favoured subject. For someone of his status to stay in the Marquis manor will really make others clearly see his family's connections and power, right?"

"So he is here to take advantage of that. He would probably ask the Marquis to help him out."

"What are you even talking about? They lived in the official residence, he is the salt transport envoy, and it is the most popular job in the Han Dynasty. In terms of family assets, even two Marquises' manors aren't equivalent to half of their family! What's more, his son is very handsome, a person with splendid future prospects, has an elegant demeanor which isn't inferior to the Marquis!"

"This quick-witted girl, how do you know this so well?"

"When I passed by the front yard, I saw that he was drinking with the Marquis at the pavilion in the middle of the lake. His every gesture was very sophisticated. "

When talking about this, the little maid servants started to giggle merrily

Yu Si Yu unconsciously stopped embroidering and listened. At that time, the Old Madam's head maidservant, Wan Qiu, lifted the curtain of the door and said, "Young Miss, there is a distinguished guest in the house. Old Madam has invited you to meet her."

This immediately raised Yu Si Yu's spirits. She hurriedly threw her embroidery frame, found the most appropriate Ruqun[1] and put it on. She rushed to the main courtyard and entered the door right after Yu Xiang.

Although Yu Si Yu's appearance was not as dazzling as that of Yu Xiang, it was also elegant and beautiful. Compared with Yu Xiang's enchanting, beautiful and flamboyant appearance, Yu Si Yu had a more gentle and virtuous temperament. Even though she was only a shu[2] daughter, her family background was a little different. However, Marquis Yongle was situated in an important position, which was simply in the heart of the emperor. He grew up together with the Crown Prince, which was enough to ensure the prosperity and glory of Marquis Yongle manor for a hundred years.

Even if the Fang family married a shu daughter of the Yongle Marquis Manor, they would be regarded as marrying someone of a higher social position. Moreover, the Fang family was currently on shaky grounds and no one could save them except Yongle Marquis, who was a commander and possessed an official residence.

Pondering over this, Pei Shi took out two jadeite jade bangles that were almost as clear as water[3] and put on both Yu Xiang and Yu Si Yu. Then, she pulled Yu Si Yu to question her and her attitude was very cordial.

Yu Si Yu's fingertips were trembling due to excitement. She glanced at Yu Xiang who was sipping on her tea slowly. Her eyes were filled with complacency. If she married into the Fang family, there would be countless splendor and wealth awaiting her, which was no worse than that of the Marquis. In addition, the di[4] son of the Fang family wasn't only talented, but also handsome and extraordinary. He was the ideal person amongst thousands of ladies.

In contrast, Yu Xiang, a disabled and illegitimate child, how long can she be proud for? An immense joy rose in her heart as she eagerly fawned over Pei Shi even more.