Chapter 48

The end of the month soon arrived and Old Madam sent two competent stewards to Shui Yue Nunnery to pick the person up.

The case of the Crown Princess' premature labor had already been solved. The manipulators behind the scene were the second prince's wife and her maiden family. Although the second prince tried his best to deny his involvement, he was still reduced to be a commoner by the Emperor and placed under house arrest in the Imperial Mausoleum for life. While the second prince's wife and her maiden family were sent for capital execution of beheadings.

Then, the Yangzhou salt tax case broke out. The amount embezzled by the Yangzhou officials was more than 30 millions taels which was equivalent to ten years of the national revenue. The Emperor was enraged and ordered the Dragon Scaled guard to take over and investigate it thoroughly. Those punished by nine familial exterminations[1] would be exterminated, while those sent for decapitation would be beheaded and those that were dismissed would be removed from their position, and all should be punished without extrajudicial mercy.

The end of the month was truly miserable and tragic that everyone felt insecure. Not to mention the doors of the prominent families were tightly closed, even the number of pedestrians on the streets was much lesser. Only Caishikou[2] was extremely lively. Everyday, several heads were swept out, and countless convicts were detained in the Dragon Scaled guard station, enduring inhumane torture and interrogation.

One could imagine how busy Yu Pin Yan was, thus the trivial matter like Shen Miao Qi's return absolutely didn't leave a mark in his heart at all. He would leave early in the morning to take charge of his official missions.

Seeing that it was almost the right hour, Old Madam walked to the gate to meet. She saw Yu Xiang already waiting outside with a burning brazier to remove bad luck and felt very satisfied. Yes, with Shen Miao Qi's destiny, she truly needed to have her bad luck removed before entering the door to avoid any evil aura.

Lin Shi rushed over hurriedly. She kept smoothing the hair on her forehead and arranging her skirt, appearing very nervous before repeatedly waving at Jin Momo to have a lookout outside the door.

"Coming, coming, Young Miss is back!" Jin Momo came in with the lower hem of her skirt raised, followed by a large group of sturdy maidservants carrying boxes and luggage.

With the flowing cloud bun and a golden silk phoenix hairpin, Shen Miao Qi was dressed in an elegant long snowy-white satin skirt. She walked slowly accompanied by a warm spring breeze and fluttering flower petals. Her beautiful face was as gentle as water while her bearing was as graceful as nature.

It was merely half a month, she had already faded from the mercenary merchant daughter and the lowly humble slave girl, transformed into a true noble family's daughter.

Not only was Lin Shi's eyes ecstatic, even Old Madam couldn't help but nod her head, finally she was presentable.

Shen Miao Qi searched the crowd with a pair of watery clear eyes, she skipped Yu Si Yu who was smiling and looked straight at the girl sitting in the wheelchair. The string known as jealousy in her heart suddenly stretched to the extreme and about to snap.

She had asked Qin Momo either explicitly and implicitly about Yu Xiang's situations, but only got to know she broke her legs at ten, with a spirited personality, a delicately beautiful face and was a wonderful person. She was also very much adored by Old Madam and Yu Pin Yan.

She originally thought the other party was probably equally matched or perhaps even a bit inferior, because she had been a beauty since she was a child and attracting countless astonishing gazes wherever she went. However, upon meeting the real Yu Xiang, she realized that Qin Momo's muttering and mumbling of the two words 'delicately beautiful' was not an insincere compliment, but rather a desperate act of not being able to think of a more appropriate adjective.