Chapter 6

The doctor came in with a medicine chest and took her pulse, then once again wrote out another painkillers prescription.

The two main maidservants dared not express even a shred of delinquency and personally boiled the decoction. With utmost deference, they carried the bowl to their master's bedside and ladled spoonfuls to cool it, softly spoke, "Young miss, please drink the medicine."

Yu Pin Yan fetched a soft pillow and placed it behind her back, then unfolded a piece of handkerchief and draped it over her chest.

Yu Xiang turned her head aside and tightly creased her brows.

The maidservant was slightly startled and anxiously began ladling another spoonful of medicine.

Yu Xiang shook her head from side to side, stubbornly refusing to comply. The maidservant felt a twinge of annoyance and was itched to pinch her jaw to forcibly feed her the concoction. Taking into consideration that the Young Marquis was watching by the side, they dared not display such an act of open insolence..

"Xiang'er, don't fret. After consuming the medicine, your legs will not ache anymore." Yu Pin Yan stopped her head from shaking, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

"I will drink only if elder brother feeds me." Yu Xiang pitifully implored while gripping his large palm.

Yu Pin Yan smiled helplessly and took the bowl. Mimicking the maidservant, he blew to cool the medicine and then fed it to those pale lips.

This time the little girl did not dodge but obediently drank the concoction. Her face became distorted, visibly showing her apprehension to the bitterness. Despite this, she continued taking big mouthfuls of the medicine.

Suppressed tears started pooling around the rim of her eyes again. Her appearance was rather pitiful, but those dark eyes glowed with determination.

Even with such injuries, she had yet to show any sign of resentment or hatred, nor lapsed into emotional breakdowns or despair. There had merely been some flare-ups of temper and the throwing of childish tantrums. This younger sister seemed to be stronger and more courageous than he had initially thought.

The youth's cold eyes gradually softened. Once all the medicine had been consumed, he picked up a candied fruit from the side plate and stuffed it into his younger sister's mouth. Catching sight of how her brows instantly smoothened, the corner of his mouth raised unconsciously.

"Elder brother, my legs are not aching anymore." Yu Xiang asserted.

The amusement in his eyes became more distinct. How could the medicine effectiveness work so quickly? The little girl was obviously trying to placate him.

"Elder brother, can you come and feed me medicine every day? Nobody chats with me when you are not here." Yu Xiang's radiant face turned gloomy.

"Sure." Yu Pin Yan tucked a lock of her disheveled hair from her forehead behind her ear, his mind churning with complicated thoughts. From this moment onward, Yu Xiang could only depend on him in this large manor.

"Pinky promise." Yu Xiang extended her little pinky and shook it slightly. Even if they did not share any blood relationship, feelings could still be fostered after a prolonged period. It would be essential to get along well as Yu Pin Yan would be the only one to protect her in the Marquis Yongle manor.

"Pinky promise." Yu Pin Yan also extended his little pinky.

Yu Xiang hooked her finger through his and did not let it go. A moment later, she fell back to sleep as she could not hold off her exhaustion. Yu Pin Yan waited by her side quietly. Seeing that she was deeply asleep, he then carefully retracted his finger. However, she immediately began to quiver and open her eyes, the round pupils wide with alarm and terror. Seeing his figure still lingering beside her bed, she quickly calmed down.